Rosemary

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Caz, May 2, 2009.

1. Caz

Caz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted some Rosemary seeds into a container ages ago and they haven't done anything - Is resemary particularly difficult to grow or have I done something wrong?

I planted them straight outside - the coriander and chives are fine, but the rosemary is not coming through :cnfs:

2. Canucks72

Canucks72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like we are in the same boat! :lollol:
    I planted Coriander, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and chives, all outside a few weeks ago now. My Coriander is going beserk. My chives look okay. My basil seedlings look just slightly better each time I thin them out, but my Thyme seedlings still look so weedy... only the seed leaves showing through for about 3 weeks now, and getting no bigger. I'm very worried about them. My Rosemary hasn't yet showed it's face. Not even a single seedling.
    Booo! :scratch:

3. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rosemary is fairly easy to grow i think..it certainly has a good survival instinct.
    Mine came from a packet of cut rosemary stems (no roots) from morrisons (reduced for quick sale too)..it took a while to get it to root in a glass of water but it did eventually.
    The bush from the cutting is currently 4ft tall x 3ft wide and covered in lilac coloured flowers :wink:

4. veraveg

veraveg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried last year to grow rosemary from seed and had no success, so bought a plant which did well for the rest of the year but then died over the winter. It was a hard winter though and maybe I should have fleeced it or brought it in for the winter. Have just planted another, bigger plant, hopefully it will survive this time.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) I have grown it from seed a couple of times, but it is very hit & miss.. I would be sowing the seeds now.. I put the pots in a nice sheltered litlle spot out of the wind & in the full sun. Unfortunately the success rate seems about 15%. The seedlings may well take up to 2 months to appear so don't give up hope until maybe 3 months has past.

The best way really is to take heal cuttings in June. I just dip the heals in a little rooting hormone & pop them by the green house out of the wind & in the sun & they root easily..:thmb: