Roses changed colour?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hetty, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I bought 2 lovely bright pink patio roses and planted them up in lime green pots (chosen to work with the colour of rose)..but now the flowers that were out when I bought them are dying off the new buds are opening and are a very orangey red colour..not so nice! Any idea why the change?

Not sure you can see it too well in this photo in this light: (smaller not long opened rose in the lower middle of pic is orange red, large rose above is bright fuschia pink)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    No idea :noidea:
    I do know some of my roses appear to be one colour and then fully "ripen" to their full glory.

How long have you owned the plant? Is this the first year? If so, it may simply be that is how the bud/flower naturally develops?

For example: one of my most favourite roses has a bud much, much darker than the full blown flower. The in-between stage is a slightly different colour too.

Here's my "before and after" shots to show you what I mean (sorry, no in-betweeners)

Same rose, just different stages:-

CIMG0068 (520x640).jpg CIMG0069 (578x640).jpg

We need to ask our @wiseowl

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      I find as the season draws on rose colours change as new blooms appear, the first flush of flowers are at their best. Whether this is to do with feeding/watering, heat etc. I don't know. However, as "M" says roses do change as they open from the initial buds. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,663
        Good morning Hetty only just spotted your post as it wasn't in the Rose forum,my apologies:smile:

1.Stress can turn a human's hair grey, so imagine what it can do to a Rose;)

2.Soil the color of a Rose can be changed due to the alkalinity or acidity of the soil that it is planted in.;)

3.Age takes its toll on Roses just as it does on everything else ;)

4.Location in garden,full Sun ,part shade,full shade;)

5.Even our photos when taken with all our different cameras and at different times of the day are not the true colour's of our Roses,and may look different to each of us:)

These are just my personal views arrived at over 60 years :old::heehee: and only affect a small percentage of our much loved Roses,to me a little paler,a little darker,,what does it really matter,a Rose by any other colour is a Rose:)

• Like Like x 4
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Hetty

Hetty Gardener

Ratings:
          +12
          Lol, thank you! Yes, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet :)

Yes, I've only had the plant for about a week..so we shall see what happens, maybe the flowers will darken into the lovely pink. There are LOTS and lots of buds on it, so it's nice and healthy (because I've only had it a week... :P ).

• Like Like x 1