Rotavating with Howard Bulldog.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Retired, Aug 29, 2024.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,822
    Hi,

Quite a while ago I bought this Howard Bulldog petrol rotavator as a restoration project;

upload_2024-8-29_9-31-15.png

It was in very poor unworking condition. I restored it and made a set of new tines out of 1/8" steel plate. The Howard orange coloured paint I bought though eBay and it's hugely disappointing reacting badly when in contact with petrol.

Howard Bulldog_0001.JPG
    Fully working again.
    Howard Bulldog_0002.JPG
    It's a shame to get it dirty.

Tuesday this week my 77th birthday I tried using my lightweight petrol rotavator on our middle meadow but it mostly bounced around digging holes so I brought out the Howard.

I've recently bought a £15 video camera through eBay with the intention of recording my violin practices but thought I'd try the camera out whilst rotavating. The first video was very poor indeed the picture being washed out.

Yesterday I set the camera up at the top corner of our mountain; we call it a mountain because it's so steep.

Success this time and I've posted five videos onto YouTube; Here's the first;

https://studio.youtube.com/video/vr54uqLuyjk/edit

Video #5 shows more of our site and surrounding area.

Kind regards, Col.

• Like Like x 3
    • southerner

southerner Gardener

Carpenter
      Ratings:
      +33
      You made a cracking job of that.

Correct link is

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Retired

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +5,822
        Hi,

Many thanks for your compliment @southerner and for helping me out by inserting the correct link; very much appreciated indeed. If there are 100 ways of doing something wrong I'll do it wrong 104 ways because I often make the same mistake a number of times.

It's interesting to hear this old engine popping away; the exhaust valve was in poor condition it's seat was badly worn; I skimmed the valve seat in the lathe to tidy it up and made a tool to skim the valve seat in the cylinder block then ground both valves in. The popping gives it a bit of character.

2 Dec 2023_0001 - Copy.JPG
        Exhaust valve seat on right; not perfect but gives a good seal with good compression.
        2 Dec 2023_0003.JPG
        Valve seat tool I made for skimming the exhaust valve seat in the cylinder block.
        19 Nov 2023_0008.JPG
        Here's the exhaust halve seat in the cylinder block.
        19 Nov 2023_0009.JPG
        Poor picture but the exhaust valve in poor condition.

Kind regards, Col.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,847
        Good grief Col - that is quite a slope! Sometimes things look worse (or better) in video, but I can see the angle of the fence posts! You're doing a lovely job. Lots of hard work (again). Hope you had a great birthday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Retired

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,822
          Hi,

Thanks @CarolineL yes things can be made to look a lot different just by adjusting the angle of the camera but as you rightly comment the fence posts show how steep the garden really is; the posts are perfectly upright; the posts are galvanized scaffolding pipes; these replace the previous treated wooden posts which rotted out in less than four years.

Creating meadows_0001_01.JPG
          37 years of living here has been incredibly hard constant work both working on the bungalow and in the gardens. I've felled and disposed of over 30 very tall trees up to 80' tall; about three weeks ago I removed a conifer hedge the conifer heights between 15' & 20' tall; 18 of them. Seen here are some of the logs from previous tree felling.
          Creating meadows_0008.JPG
          Here's what the rotavated area looked like at the top of the mountain; the laurels etc were as tall as the tree at the top left hand corner; I kept attacking these year after year until at this point I removed the lot including stumps & roots; to the left is the first year wildflower meadow/
          Top Meadow._0002.JPG
          The wildflower meadows look stunning whilst in bloom attracting many nice comments.
          Trees_0004.JPG
          For my birthday last year I decided to remove our huge oak tree which was towering over the bungalow roof and patio; this was a difficult decision to make because in spite of all the tree removing I love trees. Having daily cleaned up after pigeons using this oak as their toilet seat for years enough was enough; the oak was also dangerous being too near the bungalow in high wind.

I was brought up in times long ago when hard work was normal and people were a great deal happier whilst living in real poverty. As a child up to 11 years of age I lived with my parents and two brothers and sister in a one bedroomed cockroach infested miners cottage with only water and gas laid on; I was 5 when electricity was installed. Life was very hard but strangely everyone smiled and helped each other.

I hope I'm not preaching but being married for 48 years the help we've received can be counted on one hand; the only work I don't carry out is gas everything else I do entirely on my own.

I'd better get off my backside before another day rapidly disappears; I'll have a tidy up in the gardens then a trip to the tip before this rare dry weather gives way to winter.

Kind regards, Col.

• Cordy

Cordy Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,071
          @Retired
          Excellent restoration on a good make of Rotavator.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s When I was a Landscape Gardener owned 2 Howard rotovators
          first was an new 810 cc petrol Howard Gem, powered by a twin cylinder petrol engine.
          After 12 months I exchanged it for a Howard Gem with 500 cc diesel engine, a single cylinder two stroke made by Sach in Germany. A fantastic machine which would run all day on a gallon of diesel.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
        • Retired

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,822
          Hi,

Thanks @Cordy.

Machines these days aren't made to last 100 years with the occasional rebuild; they are increasingly complicated to repair with electronics and circuit boards which fail and when a circuit board fails it's often cheaper to scrap the machine. We had a washing machine which was quite expensive to buy but when the warranty ran out a year after its circuit board failed; the new circuit board cost over £100 and for those having to call a service guy in at a cost of around £35 I didn't repair the machine; it went for recycling and we bought a brand new BEKO washing machine with long warranty for £189. This cheap BEKO is the best washing machine we've ever owned and it's still doing a good job at over ten years old; it's a basic cold fill only machine.

These Howard rotavators were made when British engineering was at its best; they are heavy and robust unlike modern tinny machines which are built down to a price making them disposable goods.

Our site is so steep I couldn't use an Howard Gem; I couldn't even get a Gem into our rear garden. One machine I would have liked would be a Bobcat mini digger but even one of these would prove dangerous to use so I have to do heavy work the hard way; because I stick at it I always win in the end.

I did consider replacing the engine with a new more powerful Honda engine but decided to keep the Bulldog original; I intend to sort out the controls though allowing control from levers on the handlebars unlike now when I have to release one hand from the handlebar making it dangerous on the steep slope.

Out of interest I like leaving my comfort zone to try new things. I'm learning to play a violin and because I have a very poor memory I'm also learning to play from music sheets sight reading; it's an whole new world to discover; it's never too late to try a new hobby.

Kind regards, Col.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,847
          The sound isn't coming through for me @Retired
          Wait - it is when I go full screen but not when embedded. But it's very quiet.
          You amaze me Colin - I wouldn't dare try - but sight reading is a good skill. My children both did piano, and their teacher always had some sight reading each lesson.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Cordy

Cordy Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,071
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Retired

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +5,822
              Hi,

Thanks @CarolineL I need more practice making videos being very much a novice; it took quite a learning curve to record my violin playing to my Tascam Pocket Studio then learning how to save and export it to my PC then the fun started; I had to use "Audacity" to edit it removing sections not needed then change file format to suit YouTube. I'm unsure at the moment how to adjust sound before adding to YouTube.

So much to learn all at once; the violin is regarded as the hardest stringed instrument to play but I'll stick with it. I'm enjoying the steep learning curve not just playing the violin and sight reading but playing with all my electronic studio recording gear; I did learn very quickly if I left my phantom power mic still switched on then turned on my two monitors it didn't half clear my ears.

I've three female friends who at a younger age tried to play a violin but all three soon packed it in as being too difficult. I don't have a violin tutor I'm picking it up by practicing and watching YouTube videos; go on @CarolineL surprise yourself and have a go; I was 74 before first touching a violin and now three years later am still struggling for studio time but I won't give up; I'm a member of two stringed instrument forums where forum members are excellent.

Many thanks for spotting "Rotavator" is a Palindrome @Cordy it never occurred to me; for members wondering what a Palindrome is it's a word that spells the same forwards or backwards. :blue thumb:

As usual I've wandered off topic but at least it generates a bit of interest.

Kind regards, Col.