rotavating

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by starflower, Jan 30, 2007.

1. starflower

starflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we want to lay a lawn on a rather mature plot and don't know the best way to prepare the ground. It is currently peppered with roots, rubble and weeds. Will a rotavator go through this or do we need to dig and pick as we go along. If anyone has any advice I would be very gratefull.

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi starflower and welcome to GC.
    If the area is full of perennial weeds with deep roots and couch grass, a rotovator will just chop the roots up and spread them around. The rubble will probably damage the rotovator too. It does mean digging them out or using a weedkiller if you want a perfect greensward. But if, like me, you don't mind dandelions and buttercups in your lawn, just remove the larger surface rubble, level the site using new topsoil if necessary, and re-seeding into that. Regular mowing should get rid of docks etc. The rubble below the surface will probably help with drainage.
    Others may have more ideas for you.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd go along with Blackthorn (although avoiding the weedkiller as an option, as I don't like the stuff!) - but I would add that when you're laying a lawn, whether turf or seed, you need to firm down the soil thoroughly once levelled. Traditionally you walk (very uncomfortably :rolleyes: ) on the backs of your feet, with your legs close together, in sort of hobble, tiny steps at a time, up and down. A roller is easier - but not always available, unlike your feet! :D

Enjoy!!! :D I'm still having fun digging rubble out of my garden, more than a year on after moving in to a new place..... so you have my sympathies! It's great exercise. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. starflower

starflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your tips guys. With regard to the rubble how much top soil would you advice to cover it?