rotten courgettes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by crofthouse, Aug 2, 2008.

1. crofthouse

crofthouse Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My courgettes have started producingplenty of fruit in the last couple of weeks, but a lot of them have been going rotten at the tip, while still quite small. Is this usual? Can I do anything to prevent it?

Anthony

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I can send you some of mine, lol. I can´t eat them all, I give bags away and I still have too many. I have nightmares by night, lol
    Some of mine also rot at the tip, but only a few. Do ALL of yours misbehave? Is the old rotten flower still sticking at the end of them?Could that be the cause? I don´t KNOW, just thinking. Sometimes the flower falls down sometimes it sticks and rots there. I wonder if that may be it?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    If they dont get pollenated they rot.
    They are basically marrow plants, that was the old british veg, but now its more trendy to cut them very small and call them cougettes.

But the same applies, if they dont get pollenated, they rot.:)

4. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah is that the reason? My few rotten courgette (actualli I call them all zucchini, small or large, it´s the same stuff) still make a nice eatable blob at the base, so I did not think of the pollination factor.

5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete for that info. I wondered why if you left them long enough the grow into marrows, thought I got the seeds mixed up.

6. crofthouse

crofthouse Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I'll obviously have to dock the bees' wages!!! Getting more than 50% rotting off - mind you still getting more than we need to eat, but not really enough to give away.

Anthony