Round Bins and leaves

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by jd67, Oct 11, 2016.

1. jd67

jd67 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can these round bins be used for leaves only.

Attached Files:

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I see no reason why not but I haven't tried it. I usually bag up my leaves in a black bin liner, pop a couple of holes in and leave it tucked away somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Yes, but it'll tie it up for a year or more.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,078
        Could do. I just built a chicken wire cage 1.5m 1.5m square.Have been using the leaf mold this week,worked a treat,took 2 years to produce but there was no rush.

• jd67

jd67 Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4
        Thank you for your advice

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          I have some of those composters that I bought from the council and have tried both leaves and household waste in them but have found that because of the small size of them the stuff rots down but not as good as say a proper large square wooden compost bin.

I have all but given up with mine because it was too much effort trying to get the compost out of either the little trap door or tipping them over when the veggie and garden waste did eventullay do something after three years:sad:

I also had a rat live in one of mine as it was able to get underneath the bottom and was nice and dark for it whereas my tonne bags are open and it didn't want to get wet:snorky:

I now only use tonne bags the sort that builders merchants bring sand etc in and don't take back.I use a pole at each corner inside the loop and stretch the corners out as far as they will go and start adding my waste to that.

If you have the room then what I have suggested will help but if not then try the plastic compost bin and see how you get on:smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
            Last edited: Oct 14, 2016