Rowan Pollen Allergy - Anyone else suffering?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Plantminded, May 6, 2024.

1. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    After spending the afternoon working on my lawn on Thursday, I woke up the next day with a sore throat, headache and itchy eyes, plus sneezing and coughing. Right above where I was working is a large Rowan, the common Sorbus aucuparia, which had just started flowering last week. It's got a lot more flowers than last year, accompanied by a strong scent. I've never suffered these symptoms from this tree before but had them when I lived near some Scots Pines in my previous property, as did my neighbour!

From my previous experience and symptoms, I suspect that the Rowan's the culprit. It's very close to my house and my neighbour at the back has one close by, equally laden with flowers. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms recently and started accusing a nearby Rowan :)?

DSC00733.jpeg

2. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,466
    It looks nice! Sorry to hear it seems to be causing you bother, but the air quality at the moment is at best "fair" for over a week now. I suspect as we get older we become more prone to these types of problem(s).

• Like Like x 1
    • Plantminded

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,938
      Thank you @DiggersJo, I did think that might be the case! The symptoms got better after it rained on Saturday but are still lingering today. From what I remember the flowers fade quite quickly so I can look forward to berries falling everywhere soon!

• Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,992
      That's a very pretty rowan, it looks about half the size of mine, which is over 50 years old and near my back door. The blossom is just opening, and I noticed whilst cleaning the bird bath that I could smell it. I will look out for any symptoms!

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,982
        I always thought allergies were mostly brought on by wind pollenated plants and trees.

They said a few days ago that oak pollen is the one that is in high quantities at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,992
          The blackbirds eat most of mine before they get chance to fall. I do find a few in my plant pots which I collect up and put on the lawn for the birds.

It's very amusing watching the blackbirds trying to get at the last few berries on the ends of the twigs, when all the rest have been eaten. First they try creeping out as far on the branch as they can go, then they try standing on a bigger branch below and jumping up, and finally they resort to flying past as close as they can and snatching at them on the wing!

• Like Like x 1
          • Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,685
            I have given up trying to work out what I am allergic to. I suffer from a snifflly nose and watery eyes all year round. It gets worse when the trees are in flower like now but often I have no idea what causes the sneezing and cough, dry throat etc. I may well be allergic to my dog and cat as well as pollen. I cannot use cosmetic make up of any kind, I end up with streaming eyes for hours and some shampoos bring my scalp up in itchy spots. I also get reactions to some medications which can make life complicated. I have resigned myself to the fact I have a super sensitive system which I have had to learn to live with.

• Like Like x 1
            • Plantminded

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,938
              I read this last night @pete and it got me thinking! (There was nothing worth watching on TV:)!)

rowan-pollen

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Plantminded

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,938
                Yes, they eat most of mine off the tree too @Escarpment. I like to keep the blackbirds happy!

• Like Like x 1
                • Plantminded

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +2,938
                  Thank you @Goldenlily26, it sounds like you are coping well. I have a few food intolerances, not allergies, and am also intolerant of noisy neighbours:)!