1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

rowan tree leaf tip browning.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by gordon246, May 12, 2006.

1. gordon246

gordon246 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi y'all

my rowans (hupehensis & pink pagoda, planted last november,18centimetre trunk girth)are showing browning of all of the leaf tips, can anyone please advise of cause and any remedy.

many thanks

Gordon.

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Do they need watering? Its very hot and dry (for May)where I live and some leaves may be short of water or even scorched.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would agree with Hornbeam - that description sounds like a lack of watering. We have had a dry winter, and spring - how often have you been watering it since planting?.

4. gordon246

Ratings:
    +0
    Have 3 tubes down to roots of each tree and have been watering weekly since spring.
    Could you please advise as to best way of watering.
    Advice much appreciated, thanks very much.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd have said it was a watering prob too, but given that you seem to be watering it plenty - I've had a look in the pests and diseases books. The only other things that seem to fit are frost damage and verticilium wilt - but I've never heard of a rowan having problems of that sort. They're used to freezing cold winters, and I've only seen the verticilium wilt on things like clematis - BUT the RHS book says that lots of plants are susceptible to both these things, so maybe.....?

6. gordon246

Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly seems like a watering problem, we only noticed the leaf browning yesterday on return from a week abroad and apparently it has been extremely warm whilst we were away. We'll water little and often from now on. Thanks.

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Make sure its not this. I worked in a retreat house couple of summers ago and they had it in their garden on sorbus. My next door neighbour works at an agricultural college and he says it was a big problem last year. Worth checking out.

[​IMG]

Bacterial fire blight causes leaves at the branch tips to wilt, turn brown, but remain hanging on the tree.

The infected branches have a scorched appearance and infected bark discolors, shrivels and may crack or be shredded. There is usually a crack between diseased and healthy bark. The bacteria are washed down the branches and onto the trunk by rain. When the trunk is girdled, the tree dies. There is no reliable chemical control. Prune out infected branches. Use of high nitrogen fertilizers can increase susceptibility to fire blight.

8. gordon246

Ratings:
    +0
    hi bm
    thanks for the advice.
    will continue to monitor and inform on this string if it progresses as such.
    jeez , i hope it's not , it sounds positively horrendous !!!!!

cheers, g.