Rowan Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by pagan, Jun 21, 2008.

1. pagan

pagan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, my first post is about a Rowan tree i have acquired! It is a young one, about half a metre of growth on it. I have the roots sitting in a tub of water just now but i want to obviously put it in the ground. The problem is that i havnt yet completed digging the turf up in my garden and getting it ready for plants.

The ground under the turf is awful. We are in a steading conversion and the people who built it put the turf on ground of stones mainly it seems. So we need to get some more soil in.

How long can it last in this tub? Can i plant it into a pot for now?

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Hello pagan and welcome to GC.

I love the Rowan tree but cannot advise you on it but someone here can.

All the best and enjoy the forum.

3. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would personally pot it up

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Agree with spud pot it up let it get established in the pot,plant it next season when your sorted.

5. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    At this time of year potting up is the way. In the winter you can plant it out.

6. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Get it out of the water ASAP! many folks think they're doing the tree a world of good by keeping it in the water, but you will end up slowly killing it from oxygen deprivation and toxin buildup in the roots. If you want to store a tree without planting it then cut a diagonal slit into the ground and place the tree in it at a 45 degree angle. Cover the roots carefully. keep moist but not soaking. Quickly decide whether you will plant it out (although this is the wrong time of year for that right now), or keep it in a pot. Man Of leisure has it right. Pot now - plant out later.

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry pagen only just seen this.

Is it a multi-stemmed or single trunk type mountain ash (Rowan)?

This will make a big difference where you plant it in your garden. I grew one from a berry and nurtured it in pots and finally planted it, eventually I had to cut it down with a chain saw, because it reached over 40 foot. Also the roots, (as you can imagine the length of them)....started breaking up my pond, paving stones etc.

It broke my heart but I had do chop it down.

Unless you have plenty of space I would go for the multi-stemmed variety.:thumb: