Rowan

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by featherduster, Sep 4, 2010.

1. featherduster

featherduster Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have planted this year a Rowan and it's coming on a treat....what else could I plant in my neck O the woods that would thrive????

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,344
    Tricky.
    It depends on several factors. Such as how much space you have. Do you want more trees or other things.

Many coastal areas in the UK suffer from damage from wind. I am assuming you live near the coast, so what will survive in a cold windy northerly position???

My best suggestion is to look at as many local gardens, parks etc and see what they grow, what looks healthy and you like. If it grows for them it should do well for you.

There are lots of different Sorbus. Common name Rowan, some have orange berries others red, white or yellow. They go a lovely colour in the autumn. If you have a lot of room it might be fun to plant more.

If in doubt about what plant it is just post a few pics here on the Plant id section.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=sorbus%20berries&rls=p,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1239&bih=528

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1...=&oq=&gs_rfai=&q=sorbus leaves autumn colours

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Congratulations on getting a 'tree' to grow in windy treeless Caithness :gnthb:
    I think that whatever you try you'll be very unlikely to produce anything resembling 'full size' due to your windy and fairly cool location, after all you are nearer the arctic circle than you are to London.
    You could try Scots Pine and birch and they should at least grow. Juniperus horizontalis (horizontal juniper) may be worth a try.