Rubber Plants (Ficus elasticus)

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by adie, Sep 21, 2005.

1. adie

adie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rubber plant of approx 2 1/2 to 3 years old, it has recently been repotted to a larger pot, and lives in our conservatory, which is warm, but not in constant sunlight. :confused:
    It is generally healthy, but new shoots are growing from nodes directly above existing leaves, from about 1/2 way up to the top of the main stem.

2. adie

adie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rubber plant of approx 2 1/2 to 3 years old, it has recently been repotted to a larger pot, and lives in our conservatory, which is warm, but not in constant sunlight.
    It is generally healthy, but new shoots are growing from nodes directly above existing leaves, from about 1/2 way up to the top of the main stem. Is this a problem? If so, what should I do about it? :confused:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Rubber plants are actually a small tree in a pot, they can get pretty big when grown in their natural enviroment. Your plant is just starting to branch out, like any other tree does, they tend to do this when they're getting good growing conditions.
    Its not a problem unless you dont want this to happen, if not you could just rub out the buds as they form, but it will bleed latex sap for a while from the damaged area.

4. adie

adie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete, nice to know we have a happy rubber plant, we were worried because it seems to have gone a bit mad after being re-potted a few months ago!

5. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Sounds as though you have a very healthy fiscus elastica there Adie. I have known people to cut a whole in their ceiling to allow it to continue to grow upwards! I think that is taking it too far. You can top it at any time as Pete says it is a tree. If you do not want to clean the leaves with bio cleaner you can clean them with a swab with milk which will keep the leaves all nice and shiney and free from dust.