Run off rainwater from Shed roof

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NoviceGardener2023, Oct 12, 2023.

1. NoviceGardener2023

NoviceGardener2023 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,
    Got a garden shed installed in the last few days.
    Steel roof on shed and there is space between one side of the shed & the boundary fence.
    Also, there is a similar space at the back of the shed to the boundary fence.

Due to the way the roof on the shed is, the rain water will presumably run off either side of the shed.

Is there anything I should put down either side of the shed to soak up all the rain water that will inevitably run off when the heavy Winter rains come?
    Also, for the gaps between the fence and the shed, should I do anything else? Havent seen any foxes or the like around tbh.

Pics attached for reference.

Thank you

IMG_20231012_155235.jpg IMG_20231012_155302.jpg IMG_20231012_155327.jpg IMG_20231012_155351.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    I would have fitted guttering around the shed leading to a water butt, but I suppose it depends on if you want to use that water in some way.

It doesn't look like a big shed so the run off will not be great.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • NoviceGardener2023

Ratings:
      +22
      Thanks for your reply, only seeing it now as I got no notification of a reply to my post.

TBH I hadn't even considered the guttering option for the shed, if I had, I probably could have got the guys instaling the shed to fit it as they were going.

There is actually already a water butt elsewhere in the garden, taking from the guttering running off the house.

So, at this stage, I am unlikely to get a second butt for rain run off from the shed.

Shed is 8ft x 6ft & while run off of rain may not be great, I just wanted to be extra cautious around best approach for the run off after the heavy few days rain we inevitably get multiple times in Ireland!

• Like Like x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        On the two fence sides we would put down something like landscape fabric and cover that with some gravel to prevent any grass or weeds growing up; though narrow for us, doubt any wildlife will stay there as it looks too wide and open for them.

Around the other two sides would put some small flags or similar but sloped slightly away from the shed so any water runs off onto the grass.

Some nice tall shrubs or small trees , possibly Pleached, would help mask that large grey wall.
        Red Robin would be a good candidate.

• Like Like x 1
        • Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,749
          I would position shed higher on the concrete base or paving slabs to prevent it from quick rotting. It's close to the fence, so the fence maintenance now is impossible. And shed and fence will take longer to dry after long rains.
          Agree that those two gaps to be covered with something to not to let the grass grow.

• Like Like x 2
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +48,925
            Has it got a base or just standing on soil ?

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,925
              You can enable notifications per thread using the 'watch thread' link at the top. In your profile preferences there are options to set that automatically.

• Like Like x 1
              • NoviceGardener2023

Ratings:
                +22
                Thank you

Would weed control fabric do for putting down on the side & back of the shed facing the fence? As I have some at home.
                Should i spray the grass that is already there with some sort of weed killer before putting on the fabric?
                Any kind of gravel you would recommend? Or will any aul gravel just to cover the fabric do?

For the small flags for the two open sides (front of shed and right of shed as you look at it), are you just thinking coming out in length by one or two pavers? To slope, I presume I just need to dig up some lawn so as its on a slight slant?

Yes that grey wall is a bit of an eyesore. We only moved in a couple of months back so lots to do. We are an end of terrace so that grey wall is technically in our neighbours garden behind our fence.
                Im assuming you mean plant something in our garden in front of the fence beside the shed? Or have I taken you up wrong?

Thanks

• NoviceGardener2023

Ratings:
                +22
                Hi,
                The shed is on 12 x 4" concrete blocks. They put skirting around the visible sides of the shed so it doesnt show that it is standing on blocks.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • NoviceGardener2023

Ratings:
                  +22
                  With the way the shed roof is angled, will the rainwater not slide off the roof missing the sides of the shed and instead landing on the grass beside?

I'm just not sure where is convenient on the ground to discharge water to, that end of the garden gets no sun so is generally quite wet. It would probably mean another water butt.
                  How much does a typical guttering for a shed cost? Some of the prices look like over 80 quid which seems pricey.

That is some weed control fabric. The shed guys placed it on the ground and put the concrete blocks on top before adding the shed base. It looks like they folded it up partially and put the ends of it under the shed.

• NoviceGardener2023

Ratings:
                  +22
                  Thanks.
                  The shed is actually on 12 x 4inch concrete blocks, they just put skirting around the more visible sides.

Speaking of shed/fence maintenance, which I havent gotten around to yet.
                  How do you know if a fence is dry typically? Like I presume it could be dry on the outside but maybe still wet on the inside. There is heavy rains coming for the next few days here

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,291
                  Yes, one or two layers of your weed fabric should do and covered with an inch or two of whatever gravel or slate chippings you fancy. Even cheap builders gravel would do.
                  Would not bother with grass killer, the fabric and gravel will do that.

Like the paving slabs or similar gravel etc around the other two sides, you may have to remove a bit of grass / soil so the end result does not become higher than your concrete base blocks otherwise the damp could rise.

No, we meant planting something tallish against your side of your fence to soften the view, plenty of other things to choose, eg a tall swaying Bamboo ( the Clumping, not Invasive type)

Its good that the owners of that wall have some ground between your fence and the wall in that it cannot be considered a party wall where you have to share the cost of its upkeep.
                  Taking some photos of your boundary fence and their land between you and their Wall might be wise for the many years ahead, should any problems ever arise.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • NoviceGardener2023

Ratings:
                    +22
                    [/QUOTE]

Thanks I'm based down south in the Republic of Ireland. So I can order from screwfix and we have the likes of a Woodies/Homebase
                    We have had a deluge of rain the last couple of days so one side of the shed got pretty puddled up - see pic.
                    I'm not sure about having the rainwater from the shed roof going into the corner of the garden as the shed is one corner and the other corner is near the paving.
                    In hindsight, maybe going for a second water butt beside the shed is the better option as per @pete recommendation.

Thanks for the details for guttering breakdown. I'm trying to visualise how the guttering works, presumably a gutter on the left and right side of the shed as u look at it, do they join around the back of the shed or how does the guttering from the left hand side of the shed come around to a water butt at the back right hand side of the shed?

IMG_20231019_131803.jpg

IMG_20231019_131740.jpg
                    IMG_20231019_131803.jpg IMG_20231019_131740.jpg we

• pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +91,979
                    Can you get down into that narrow gap to install it?

• Like Like x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +91,979
                      I just ran guttering along the back of the shed as well to join up the two sides, just involves an extra length of gutter and a couple of 90 degree turns, just a slight fall all the way where the downpipe and butt is.

If necessary I would fit an overflow pipe to the water but and build a small soakaway for it to run into.

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Like Like x 1