Runner beans being left to dry

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by adamadamant, Oct 14, 2024 at 6:21 PM.

1. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi I have deliberately left a number of the larger runner beans on the plant so I can let them dry for soups in the winter, but we are having such a wet autumn. Is it OK to leave them (they look completely normal, not on the point of beginning to dry out yet) or should I pick them now and try and dry them indoors? I can leave them up, it's just I am worried they might start going mouldy. Any thoughts or experience with this? thank you so much

• Useful Useful x 1
    • infradig

infradig Total Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
      Ratings:
      +1,209
      First stage would be to cut the bean stems just above the soil.*
      Wind /sun will rapidly dehumidify the plants and cause the pods to dry.(commercially this might be done with a 'whiff' of glysophate)
      Once the pods become papery, then remove and place in a moderately warm but airy space for a few days. They shell easily when dry enough. Lay out seeds to fully dry in the same conditions before packing in paper bags to store in cool,dry conditions.
      *Leave the roots buried to rot away , the nitrogen modules you might see on the roots will benefit the next crop, especially beans or salads..In mild winters these could shoot a new stem but rarely are satisfactory as a 'perennial' planting.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
        +411
        I've been picking the pods I left for next year's seeds/dried bean as they dry out. As soon as the pods go papery they come off. We are still getting some runners developing pods so I'm leaving the rest of the plant to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          Well what alot of information, thank you. I didn't know about severing the plant at the bottom, that makes sense. I am happy to leave the pods on the vine till they get papery as you say, so will do that and hope they don't just get mouldy! Some finer weather is on its way I believe. Fingers Crossed. And thank you both