1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Runner Beans - Cut off shoots?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jazzy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. jazzy

jazzy Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Looking for advice regarding my runner beans. This year I tried the White Lady variety and there seems an awful lot of shoots growing from the plants, should I nip these off which seems a shame because they have some many flowers on them. I did nip the tops off when they reached the height of the climbing sticks.
    [​IMG]

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    If the shoots are thin and whispy, I do cut them off jazzy....White Lady for me too :)

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,204
    It depends on how much attention you can give them, how well they get watered, whether the soil has enough nutrients etc. I never cut anything off mine and never have to nip the tops out as my frames allow them to continue to grow and be supported.

That's no help to you if you have limited height and are getting overloaded. :noidea: Are you getting sufficient crop? If so, then it's OK to thin out.