1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Spacemunkey, May 7, 2017.

1. Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi everyone, I'm in need of advice on which way to plant my runner beans?? I have plenty of space in my garden in which to put my bean frame but my question is this... do I position the frame North/South or East/West ?? Or doesn't it matter? This is my first attempt at growing runners :help:

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Not really noticed a difference in yield, i'm growing them north south which is the sacred directions of the Huichol Indians

Growing them east west would be a Christian direction :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,485
        I grow mine N/S. That way, most of the plants are not getting the direct sunshine at the hottest part of the day (some of us are old enough to remember hot days :old: :snork:) that you would get from an E/W orientation. Similarly, you won't have half the beans in continual shade. :dbgrtmb:

A lot of the South American Indians used to be buried in a N/S orientation.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          If using a traditional A frame structure using bean poles/canes a N/S alignement will ensure sunlight to both sides.

If using a frame with a single sloping side (a goal post type structure with the beans as the 'net'), an E/W alignment will ensure sunlight to the side you desire (there's some debate as to whether it should be inside the frame or the sloping top that faces South).

NB If using an E/W alignement for a tall structure it will throw shade on a large area to the North.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Informative Informative x 2