runner beans.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by boebrummie, May 10, 2010.

1. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    hello again peeps.
    in my plot one i have pots which have been earthed up. but behind them up against the fence i have sowed my runner bean seeds,(been in now about 2 weeks) cover'd with plastic sheeting, was i to impatient or will they be ok.
    thanks

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi boebrummie.
    I would say that yes, you are a little premature. I KNOW how it is to want to get things in as soon as possible. It all depends on the weather. Seems we're going to get some frosts again which will spell the end if your runners are subjected to it. Of course, the plastic sheeting will (or should) protect them, but there will come a point when you will have to remove it to allow the plants to grow. If the weather turns mild, then you should be ok, but be prepared to have to sow again. I won't be sowing mine for a couple of weeks yet. I reckon there's not much to be gained by sowing too early, unless the weather permits. Hope this helps.
    ATB...freddy.

3. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    thats just my luck lol.
    wish i could grow some patience, lol
    ill keep an eye out for them, but if they dont get started or look bad. i have some in pots germinating. thats 1 thing i learned . grow extra in case of things like this.
    will you be sowing seeds or do you have seedlings to plant.
    thank you.

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    My runner beans are 6"high, but they're in the greenhouse (with frost protection heater), in pots made from compost bags, 2" diameter X 6" high. They will be planted out next week or the week after.

5. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there. Hope you don't mind me joining in! My little boy was given a a runner bean set at Christmas that would grow into a beanstalk. We planted the seeds a few weeks ago in their container and last we week, I replanted them into a bigger pot. Each seed has now grown to about 40cm and has lots of leaves. Yesterday I decided to put the pot outside, but within an hour all the leaves started to droop. They are really big, but quite floppy. I brought the pot back into the house and no permanent damage seems to have been done.

I've never grown runner beans before and I wondered if the leaves will always be floppy and when can I put the pot outdoors. Also, can they stay in the pot or do they have to be planted in the ground. I may end up with full size beanstalks in the lounge as they seem to be getting taller and taller by the day and the weather isn't getting any better!

6. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    i would use pots about 15 to 18'', but hope someone can correct me on this.
    right brain picking time, i checked the bean seeds i sowed and they seem to be sprouting, the sprouts from the seeds are only small but are sprouted. would i do better to remove them or leave them.
    many thanks

7. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, if this is a daft question, but do you mean wide or tall? Either way, the pot I have used is only about 10" x 10", so I'll have to do 'repot' again one way or the other!

8. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    cant be as bad as some of the questions i ask, lol.
    i meant wide mate. :thumb:

9. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi again.
    Butterfield, I grew some in pots a while back, but whilst they grew ok, they didn't do as well as those planted in the ground. So, if you want to plant them out, I guess you'll still have to pot them on and gradually harden them off (out during the day and in at night) until ALL risk of frost is gone. Try to keep them in a warm spot during this hardening off process. As I said before, I wont be sowing mine for another week or so, so IF you wanted to, you could always sow again. This to me is the better option. Whatever you decide, good luck :thumb:

Cheers...freddy.

10. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will do the indoors and outdoors thing!:)

11. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    i wish the weather would hurry up and change. i have runners every where.
    helpppppppppp...lmao

12. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I put my runner beans out two weeks ago but I'm not in the UK ( which I had started indoors in pots) on one side of my frame and planted beans straight into the ground on the other side. I cover them up at night with the bottom half of a plastic bottle to keep the slugs off.
    As with everything I am growing it's my first time and I am impatient - but fingers crossed...

13. craigb

craigb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had similar problems. I grew a few runners last year with great success, so I've decided to grow about 2 dozen plants of runners and borloti beans.

I planted them straight out about a month ago and none germinated. I suspect its been too cold in Lancashire. I planted a dozen of each in pots and left them in the shed. The pots were about 12" across and they've done really well. I transplanted them to the garden last week and although they are slow, they seem to be doing ok.

However, and this happened last year, I've planted another dozen of each, one per small 3" pot, and left them in the shed. So far, after three weeks, nothing is showing. I think I may have over watered them last year so I was conscious not to do so this year. I've made sure they are moist, but not soaked through. I've now transferred them to my small greenhouse hoping the extra warmth will help them along.

Anyone got any ideas why they hate small pots so much ?

Thanks in advance

Craig

14. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Think of the size of the plant and the amount of produce, consider the amount of root that it needs to support this high production rate. Need I say more?