Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by pamsdish, Jul 31, 2009.

1. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I was wondering if everyone was as pleased as i am with this years Runners, i am picking over a pound every other day , off 10 plants in florists buckets . :yho:

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    :( No... I`m not.. they are showing promise but are not cropping like they did last year.
    Are you freezing a few for christmas?
    robert

3. john4670

john4670 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My Runners and Climbing French look fine, but my Courgettes are hardly going to make a glut of any description :(

5. andybike

andybike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my beans are doing well,i have some about 12'' long

6. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    We are eating them as fast as we can, while away last year leccy went off and my sockets didnt kick back in on restart. result 2 stinking rotten freezers :dh:,so this year we will leave nothing hardly in them,
    But the beans i can eat every day and its such a short season enjoy while we can :gnthb:

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Thats quite a yield from 10 plants, I'm probably getting about the same from 30 or more plants in the ground. All this rain has more or less washed the blackfly off the plants, so they are looking really healthy.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    That's a good crop, Pam. :thumb:

Our beans started a bit later this year but we have been eating them for about three weeks. I'm picking about 5lb per day but have 200 plants. I plant them in succession so some of them are only just reaching the tops of the canes and although flowering are not yet producing. We are also trialling some new varieties which we were instructed to put in later than we would have normally chosen.

Mrs shiney was given some sweetpea baskets that she has put some beans in and we are growing them up the pergola on the patio. These weren't put in until late but they are doing very well. They have climbed to the top of the pergola (9ft) and have worked their way about 4ft across the top. Note to self: start earlier next year, more baskets and see whether we can cover the whole of the pergola :thmb:

Polestar, once again, were the first to crop heavily but have now been overtaken by Butler. The other varieties are doing quite well but were grown later so can't tell yet.

Our courgettes last year weren't particularly good but this year are doing very well - picked the first ones in June. I have no idea why they are good this year :scratch:

9. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exceptionally lush plants, smothered in blossom. Bean production hasn't quite kicked in yet, but I'm bracing myself!!

10. rpdiy

rpdiy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you are lucky
    plenty of folage but beans have been destroyed by sparrows that have nested on either side of my house. looks as though have wasted my time this year.

rpdiy

11. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Still time for the beans if you can distract the sparrows, although birds can be very single minded once they get going. Still, a bird feeder maybe??

12. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes; scarlet emperor, about 10 plants, also getting a few of pounds a week. French also doing well, and a few borlotti just for variation. I've got a couple of goldrush courgettes which are rubbish - but they are somewhat obscured by a crooked neck squash and a round courgette which are doing well. The crooked neck squash especially is producing masses of tasty fruit.

13. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I've had a few beans (1 meal), but our plants have plenty more growing on them, we have had a few meals from our cougettes which seem to be doing well...although they get picked and eaten when they are four inches long. No flowers or fruit on our squashes yet...even though I have asked them very nicely for some. :lollol:

Steve...:)

14. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    [​IMG]can you see tomorrows lunch lurking in the foilage

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668