Russian plane shot down by a NATO member

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Nov 24, 2015.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    It's all over the news. Turkey have shot down a Russian plane over Syria.

Looks to me, with my complete absence of knowledge in these matters, like both Turkey and Russia are in the wrong. According to official reports, the Russian plane did very briefly enter Turkish air space, and that of course means that for a longer period of time they must have been clearly approaching Turkey, so I can imagine Turkey getting a bit uncomfortable, and the Russians must have realised that. But at the same time, looking at the map and diagrams in the reports, it is clear that the Russian plane was going to just briefly skim Turkish air space, and there is disagreement about whose air space it was in when it was fired upon.

Turkey is a member of NATO, so if they fight with Russia, we have to.

I wonder how this will pan out. I sincerely hope that both sides simply get a good telling off, and diplomacy wins. I never saw the point in the old NATO vs Russia tension. Seems to me both sides have more reason to be friends than enemies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,097
      Strikes me the same, turkey was stupid to shoot it down.
      You only shoot something like that down if actually threatened.

Makes you wonder if they would have done the same thing had they not been part of NATO.

But like you, dont have the definite facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        If it was a genuine mistake on the part of the Russian plane was there any need to shoot the pilot and co pilot?:sad:

One does not mess with the Russians and this could very well be the start of WW111(3) :mute:

• Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,571
          Russia was pushing the limits, just like a teenager does. Turkey overreacted, at least in part because it knew NATO had to back it up if Russia turned nasty. This will die down with both parties slamming doors and sulking a bit.

Unlikely Russian oligarchs and Putin have too much lose personally.
          Third world war most likely to start in Asia. My money would be on China vs India, both nuclear powers, with interests in Himalayan resources power and water, both expansionist. Second choice would be China vs Japan/South Korea dragging in US.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +748
            Hmm seems like a poor decision by the Turks killing two people who are on their side against IS. Also annoying The Russians who will find this hard to take may not be over yet. The bit of Turkish airspace that sticks out into Syria must be a real pain for Air Stikes along the border.
            In my book a bad decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +11,493
              Its just very scary. No matter who's fault it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,838
                Well, the Russians have be intruding into our airspace, near enough daily, for decades with their bombers testing our air space. And only this year part of the Russian Fleet sailed through the English Channel along with some strike aircraft as a show of strength and "cocking a snoot" at the UK and European Governments when Putin got upset about criticism over his starting a civil war in Ukraine whilst supplying weapons, including the one that shot down the Malayan passenger aircraft, to divert attention from his annexing the Crimean area to recover the Black Sea ports.
                The Turks are a loose cannon caught between Europe and the Middle East and are not known for retreating in the face of threats. They have been holding back in crossing over into the Syrian border and are no friend of Bashar al-Assad. They are also taking the brunt of the vast flood refugees and have an estimated 1 Million of them still within their country and have problems with extreme Nationalism, terrorists claiming to be Muslim, the Kurds etc, so it's a very edgy place to be.
                Ever since Putin decided to act separately with air strikes to back up Bashar al-Assad and also, more importantly in his eyes, retain their air bases in Latakia, and their huge Naval Base at Tartus in Syria, the Turks have been repeatedly warning the Russians about repeated incursions into Turkish air space, so I think it was inevitable that something like this has happened.
                Having said that, this particular incursion was, reportedly, only for around 17 seconds and to take the decision to fire, guide, and make contact with a Side Winder missile takes a lot longer than that. So that means, to me, that the decision had already been taken to shoot down a Russian aircraft at the next incursion of air space. It also means that instead of self destructing the missile when the Russian aircraft re-entered Syrian air space they pursued it with the missile and the aircraft was probably shot down whilst over Syria.
                I found this quote by Mark Twain [1869] which shows things and attitudes haven't changed all that much in a way over a hundred and sixty years later as it mentions countries involved in the present day!!

“ I never disliked a Chinaman as I do these degraded Turks and Arabs, and when Russia is ready to war with them again, I hope England and France will not find it good breeding or good judgment to interfere."

Me, I like the Turks and have worked and known a few of them and you can't deny they have added good things to the world over the centuries.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
                • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,125
                  What is turkey hiding ?
                  The fact that they hide jihadis on their soil and allow them to cross the border to attack syrians and then return to safety i turkey?
                  They bomb the Kurds who are meant to be on our side fighting isis ?
                  They buy illegal oil by the million from isis thus funding isis who can then go on and buy arms to attack Paris ?
                  Theyve flown into Greek airspace literally hundreds of times despite Greek protests?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                  +19,596
                  It was on the news today that Russia and Ukraine are having further political fallout. Silly petty tactics. Ukraine stops electrical supply to Crimea, Russia stops gas supply to Ukraine, Ukraine closes air space to Russia. Turkey shoots Russian aircraft, Russia deploys better ground to air weapons in response, as well as advising Russian citizens to not holiday in Turkey, and at the same time cancel a load of deals.

The US and the rest of NATO back Turkey, but 'appeal for calm'.

Meanwhile, in Belgium, a major city has been literally closed out of fear, and elsewhere major events have been cancelled, again out of fear, and economies are suffering damage as a result. All while those that supposedly hold the power are squabbling amongst themselves. Putin, Obama, the boss of Turkey et al are all allowing IS to win. They should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Here is a chance to put differences aside and unite against a common threat of pure evil. And what do they do? They argue and fight like a bunch of spoilt kids.

• Agree Agree x 4
                  • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,125
                    Lifted from another site..

putinturkey.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Creative Creative x 1
                    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                      Ratings:
                      +7,341
                      ham.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Creative Creative x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        I agree to a certain point. But let's not forget that Russia has never offered to join the coalition, has jumped in without any merging in the campaign thereby causing a real problem and danger of aircraft and air strikes clashing. Putin has his own agenda of being seen to be doing something after the downing of the Russian passenger plane, keeping the Naval and Air Bases in Syria and thereby having to strike at Assad's opponents rather than ISIS while telling his country that he is attacking ISIS.
                        I honestly don't see what more Obama can do. He's blocked and criticised at every turn by the Republican Party who hold the power in Congress. Putin's recent macho actions, politically and militarily, have earned him Gangster/Black Sheep recognition by the World governments, and sanctions against him and his cronies.....not exactly the kind of Leader any Government, including ours, want to be associated with at the moment. America is conducting air strikes in Syria, unlike us, has Special Forces on the ground along with France.
                        Turkey is Turkey, I'm afraid and historically have earned themselves a reputation of being aggressive, awkward, and defiant They were like that a thousand years ago, and no doubt in another thousand years will be the same.

• Informative Informative x 1
                          Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
                        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                          Ratings:
                          +7,628
                          WW3 will never happen as long as each side has enough nukes to ensure destruction of the other - there will be no 'winner'. This is why Corbyn is so dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                            Ratings:
                            +7,341
                            TURKEY
                            Just look what they have done to CYPRUS

Jack McH

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,838
                            I was there with my Squadron at RAF Akrotiri in July 1974 when the Turks invaded the Cyprus Pan Handle, Jack. That was caused by the Military Junta in Greece in cahoots with EOKA to stage a annexation of Cyprus after deposing the Cypriot President Arch Bishop Makarios. As you know there were/are a lot of Cypriot Turks and the Turks, onstentatiously, invaded to protect them. In actual fact, it was to gain a toe hold in Cyprus for Military action should they go to war with Greece. The Turks did absolutely nothing for the invaded area either financially or materially and that area just wound down which was a shame as it was/is a lovely area.