rust on garlic

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by garden_fiend, Jun 23, 2007.

1. garden_fiend

garden_fiend Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have one variety of garlic that is covered in rust. Should I lift it early or just cut the foliage off. I tried some today and the cloves are beautiful. It's just the leaves that look awful.

2. Royster1

Royster1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garden Fiend, the problem with rust is that it spreads via air-borne spores and therefore can infect other plants relatively nearby such as onions, leeks, broad beans, roses, hollyhocks, Chrysanths... the list goes on and on although there are different rust species affecting different plant groups. If you wish you can use fungicidal control. However, arguably the best method of hygiene is picking off the infected leaves and burning or disposing of them in a bag. Never add them to your compost. Apparently you can use a homemade blend of Chamomile to reduce rust, although I have never tried this so can't vouch for it. Make sure that if you are planting garlic again next year you plant them in a different area as the rust spores can survive for years.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Kind regards
    Roy