rust on garlic

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by singes garden, Jun 22, 2009.

1. singes garden

singes garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all.. right have not grown garlic for a few years now but planted some last autumn in tubs, now I find that they have what i think is RUST, is there any person who's knows what i should do. thanks, :scratch: Singe

posted pics as decided to unpot a few.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We have the same problem and this being the first time we have grown Garlic,we are not sure if this will affect the crop or the yield.

It will be interesting to see if any other Garlic growers have had this problem and if so did they do anything about it:)

3. singes garden

Ratings:
    +0
    have just been googling about the rust, says give good feed of blood bone & fish. crop might be small but does not seem to do any damage to bulbs,

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Singe,looks like we are the only ones to have the problem:D

I have asked the question on other forums as well so will see what the answer is if any. Most of our Garlic has been in since the end of last year and so we should be harvesting it soon.I have some BF&B so might use that on the Spring planted bulbs:thumb:

5. singes garden

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

decided to unpot my garlic despite rust as they are well grown, also VERY pungent you can smell as you walk past, have some in a raised bed,but they are not so advanced will leave for later. :gnthb: