rusty metal container - how to use it for plants?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by steven118, Aug 12, 2007.

1. steven118

steven118 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I have a big old galvanised metal container I want to plant up with spring bulbs. I'm totally new to this, and I'm not sure about some really basic things.

1. There are a couple of rusty patches. Do I need to repair or protect them, and if I do, how would I do this?

2. Drainage: should I just drill a few holes in the bottom?

3. Lining: should I line the container, and if I should, what with?

Thanks for your help - and sorry if these are really stupid questions!

Steven

2. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    I don't think the rust will be a problem myself, but do drill holes in the bottom for drainage and I wouldn't line it with anything.

3. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steven,

No such thing as a stupid question on this site! I wouldn't worry about the rust or lining either. Drainage is important so if you can drill holes - great otherwise you can put a bottom layer in the container then put your soil on top. For example, use gravel, broken crockery/terracotta plant pots etc so that the excess water will drain through to this layer then get sucked back up when the plants need it.

TO [​IMG]

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a couple of (rusty)galvanised containers too. I haven't worried about the rust - neither have the plants. I drilled holes in the bottom, and they work well. I DID line them - I used an offcutof pondliner in one, and old compost bags on the others. I think I did it to form a small amount of insulation from the heat in summer, and cold in winter, No idea if it's made any difference though!

If you are hoping to move the container from time to time, (and it is large), you could use broken polestyrene in the bottom, to keep the weight of soil down.

5. steven118

steven118 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for these very helpful replies. Nice not to have to worry about the rust. I will drill some holes and put some broken polystyrene at the bottom.

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hi there
    know this much later than your original question, but, as a total newbie too, i have a packet of seeds that say 'plant where rust is a problem'. have no idea what that means but will plant them next year! sorry can't remember if rust was supposed to be in soil or not. As a 'new planter' i am doing everything in pots, so soil , as such, isn't a problem.
    let us know please.
    sandra

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again Sandra. I think that the 'rust' referred to on your seed packet is nothing to do with metal rust. There is a fungal disease of plants called rust. Surprise, surprise it's because it looks brown and powdery, just like metal rust. The two are not connected but plant rust can hang around in the soil. No idea what your plants are but suggest you just ignore it and, if you want 'em, grow 'em. good luck. [​IMG] P.S. That advice is often OK anyway.

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Sandra as john as pointed out rust is a fungus disease it would seem the packet of seeds you are going to plant as some resistance to it, here is a link to the rhs explaining about rust on roses, lots of plants can get it.
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0600/rose_rust.asp

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    thank you sarraceniac & walnut.
    What a wally I am. just goes to prove again how much i know - not!
    Still i probably give you a laugh don't I!! good job you're here isn't it cos my advice would go nowhere.
    cheers again
    sandra

10. mackem

mackem Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We all started at the beginning Sandra,and i'm just getting back into gardening after a long lay off and it's surprising how much i've forgotten but having somewhere like this site to come to is great for re-learning.So ask away bonny lass and you'll soon be giving advice as well. [​IMG]

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Sandra we are all on here to learn,we all learn something every day, life is about learning.

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Walnut, I am not here to learn. I am here to lie on a sun bed, wearing very becoming (and very large) purple and orange bermuda shorts, drinking very dry martinis., stirred not shaken (I'm too lazy to shake) and watching the cycads grow. In another 100 years they will be like small trees (if the slugs don't get 'em first). [​IMG] :D

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    In a hundred years John I don't think you will be worried if the slugs eat em or not :D

14. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    thanks all for being patient!
    yes i will learn. i will, i will, i will.
    cheers