Sad sweet pea stems

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by 2nd_bassoon, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    I've got two batches of sweet peas quietly simmering in the cold frame, one lot sown in early Feb and one early March. Both were started off in the house and moved out once germinated. They seemed to be doing really well, a vast improvement on last year when half my seedlings were eaten by slugs and the other half crushed when the plastic shelter they were in collapsed in high winds.

When I checked today however several plants in both batches have shrivelled about a third of the way up the main stem - see photos below. There appears to be healthy plant above and below the affected area. Something very similar happened with my sunflowers last year, though (touch wood) they are unaffected so far.

The only common factor is the shrivelled area does seem to be level with the anti-slug wool pellets I put down after last year's fiasco (Slug-repelling Wool Pellets) But I've re-read the packaging several times and it doesn't say anything about causing damage to seedlings. I've removed it from the healthy ones just in case (and am now paranoid about slugs instead) but I'm not sure there's anything else I can do?! Water more? Water less?

Healthy crop:

2017-04-01 18.39.32.jpg

Some of the wobblers:
    2017-04-01 18.39.29.jpg

Close up:

2017-04-01 18.39.41.jpg

2017-04-01 18.48.18.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,377
    Looks to me like they have rotted off at ground level.
    I've never come across these pellets so cant comment about them other than to say they could be holding moisture around the lower part of the stem causing the rot.
    It's almost like damping off.

I'd be inclined to get rid of those pellets and just use a few slug pellets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      Thanks @pete, that definitely makes more sense. I cleared all the wool mesh away this afternoon just in case. I'm reluctant to use pellets, my hens have intermittant access to the rest of the garden, and we also get a lot of visitors. "Local Vet Poisoned My Cat" is not a headline we need! Will look into other pet-friendly options - suggestions welcome!

• Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        Try crushed egg shells round the bases of the plants. Slugs don't like slithering over them as they tickle their tums :smile:

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        I agree with Pete, those pellets seem be acting as a mulch and keeping the seedlings too wet. Dave, eggshells don`t work, slugs put down a slime trail so as they can travel over any surface.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,377
          You could try beer traps, they work but are a pain when it comes to emptying them.
          I've since looked up the wool pellets and get the feeling they should be put in a ring around plants, but not right up against the stems, especially of seedlings.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,184
            Re the slugs and snails, find the copper tape very good for putting around individual pots, keeps my hosta tub clear of them all year.
            Also put a ring of it around the base of clematis and runner beans to stop them eating the new shoots.

For a tray of cells like you have you could use copper tape , but think I would water on Slug Clear , very effective, provided its not raining heavy for several days, plus its only the plants that get treated, no pellets around for pets/wildlife

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
              Ratings:
              +1,840
              Thanks all, I agree with the rot consensus - since removing the wool I've had no more go down so hopefully avoided losing the whole lot.

Slugs have been an ongoing battle for me in three houses now. Even with egg shells on tap I've never been able to lay enough down to have any sort of positive effect. Beer traps were great in deep beds but not so appealing on show. Copper tape has been mixed for me, last year it saved the hosta but no the dahlias. Never heard of slug clear though so will definitely add it to the arsenal, thanks @ricky101

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184
              I started using Slug Clear a few years back( about £6-8 from some garden centres and b&q etc) for my row of tall young Dahlias.

Economical and easy to apply with a watering can and rose to a lush green foilage, though not edible crops.

It sure keeps them off, but does dry and leave a slight white haze on the leaves, but a minor point unless you are showing etc.
              It can get washed off with heavy rain, but easy enough to re-apply.

PS
              Just looking for prices etc and seems as its based on Metaldehyde some places are now not supplying it ...?
              B&Q list it on their site, but show no stock .
              Will have to check how much I have left !!

Somes shop may still have some in stock, but not sure how wise it is to still use it, though was not aware of any such problems with such products ...?

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +8,190
              I put Copper Tape around the sides of the trays that have my small plants hardening off outside, when I looked later on there was a Snail that had climbed over the tape ready to start eating. Perhaps they only stop Slugs:help:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,996
              Mice will also eat sweet pea seedlings off at ground level, they've just destroyed several of my plants.