Sage wilting and dying in sections.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Graeme_435, Jun 6, 2024.

1. Graeme_435

Graeme_435 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted 3x sage plants last year all together in a border. They have grown well and been healthy until a few weeks ago. Some of one of the plants died and I pulled it out, but now parts of the remaining plants are dying. Having been fine. It seems to start with a few leaves wilting and then the whole stem then another and another. The rest of the plant is fine while this happened. But now some other parts have started wilting too. Located in Carlisle, soil is poor but never been an issue for sage before.

See pics

Attached Files:

2. Emerion

Emerion Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Could it be too wet and/or cold for them after all this rain? Mine was slowly fading away, so as a last ditch effort I moved it to the polytunnel, where I often forget to water it for ages. It has gone berserk and needs cutting back hard several times a year to stop it taking over the world. It seems delighted to be baked in temperatures into the mid 40’s Celsius, and barley getting any water.

3. Graeme_435

Graeme_435 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not particularly wet where it is, it's in a raised border and the ground seems well drained.

4. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +460
    My sage plants sometimes do the same, I just cut out the wilted branches. I have no idea what causes it. I did loose one completely, looking the same, this Spring and have assumed it was all the wet weather. Even if in a well drained bed it has been relentlessly wet, for us anyway

5. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,313
    My purple sage does it too and I'm in SW France. Last year I thought it was the heat and the drought but this year has been cool and very wet. Weird.

• Like Like x 1
    • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,189
      Never lost any abroad, opposite in fact having to control the weed. Here 2 year back I lost a very healthy plant 1m across. I put this down to the cold winter, but wonder now if it was the wet (despite it being very well drained). I now take 2-3 cuttings each year just in case. Fortunately I had already done this for the family else we would have had no "family" sage. It's been with us all about 10 years now in one way or another.

• Like Like x 1