Sago Palm - Dead?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by GAZ_XB9R, Feb 5, 2010.

1. GAZ_XB9R

GAZ_XB9R Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have what I think is a Sago Palm that did quite well for a time but then all the fronds went yellow etc.

The spikey seed is still firm not soft so I don't think it has rotted.

Any ideas if it will come away again or any ideas of how to get it to sprout again?

I think it may not have been getting enough light.

What about fertiliser? What type and how often.

I'm not very green fingered but I do try.

Cheers,
    Gaz

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Gaz.... I don't grow them but my Brother does... This is what he said..There could be three reasons for the yellowing of the leaves. One, its not getting sufficient light. Secondly, its getting too much water. Make sure the bottom of the pot is draining. Yellowing of leaves on a plant can be a result of the water staying in the pot and the roots are literally drowning. Roots have to have air and when they're in water they can't get this resource. It causes the leaves to turn yellow and makes one think they're not receiving enough water and so they water more.

Lastly, the plant may need some fertilizer. When did you last feed it.. The NPK for the food they like is 15-5-15 with magnesium & the trace elements.. He uses this one from The Palm Centre in Richmond Surrey... http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=16&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
    Good luck and remember patience, things don't change quickly with palms.:wink:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Yes a bit tricky this, how cold has it got?

They can also go yellow at low temperatures, but usually minus ones.
    My money would be on what Marley says, its roots are rotting, or it could possibly be vine weevil.

They have a habit of coming back from what appears to be a dead state, so dont give up on it for at least a year.
    As Marley says, they do nothing quick, and just look sad for ages then suddenly form a new flush of fronds in a matter of weeks.