Salix dying

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by accidentalgardener, Sep 8, 2007.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

As some of you may know I have had to rely on my son to water the garden and pots for a while now.

The shrubs are doing fine but my standard - Salix appears to have been ignored, to the point of the leaves going brown i.e., dead.

Does anyone know if there is any point in trimming it back (i usually do that around March). A neighbour watered it for me last night but is it too late? There are still a few pinkish leaves on it but not many.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    IS it in a pot? If so, immerse that in water for a while, then it might pick up. I assume it's a Hakuro nishiki? This happened to one I gave to a customer - it needed drastic pruning afterwards, but survivied.

3. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there dendrobium,

Thanks for answering so quickly [​IMG]

It is a Hakuro, and it is in a pot, it generally comes into the extension before the first frost.

Should i do both? - immerse it and prune it as well or just emmerse it and wait and see? Having a bit of a panic up here [​IMG] [​IMG] :eek: :confused:

4. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Did what you said, haven't pruned it back yet as has bud leaves on what i thought were dead branches, but this is it's state as of today, thanks for your help :D

[​IMG]