salvia wishes collection overwintering help

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by paultall90, Oct 19, 2024 at 8:35 AM.

1. paultall90

paultall90 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    hi
    This is my first year growing salvias. I have read a few articles that say I would be fine leaving them outside if I mulched them. I wonder if this is true for the Leeds area of the UK. Also, is this the same for Salvia Amistad?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,870
    Depends on which salvias you've got. Some are very hardy others require a frost free greenhouse.
    Down here I take cuttings of Amistad or put the pot in the greenhouse, I take cuttings of S involuctra and S confertifolia. S guaranitica "Black and Blue" has lived outside for the past 10 years, but sometimes doesn't reappear above ground until June. S vitifolia, S corrugata, S minata and S blepharophylla tend to come through in an unheated greenhouse. I find S atrocyanea, the various S microphylla and S greggi to be hardy with good drainage.
    I've had mixed success with S stolonifera this year it took until mid Seotember to appear and shows no sign of flowering, might lift a bit and pot up for the greenhouse.
    Sometimes I find it's the winter wet rather than the cold is the problem also in spring I have to keep an eye on slugs and snails munching the new shoots and that's why Amistad lives in a pot.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,870
      I see you refer to Salvia wishes collection in the title, I haven't grown any of this series; from what I can see they should be hardy in a mild area with a thick mulch (note mulch makes a good shelter for slugs)
      In a colder spot (like Leeds) the advice is to lift and overwinter in pots, frost free and fairly dry until growth appears in spring.

• paultall90

paultall90 Gardener

Ratings:
      +8
      Thanks for the reply.
      I'm thinking of mulching half lifting the other half and potting up to hedge my bets. And see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +49,505
        I would bring that in as it doesn't survive outside overwinter in Surrey for me.

• AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
        +606
        I had no luck in overwintering Wendy's Wish here in Gloucestershire. Unlike the greggii types, the slightest hint of winter wet and that was the end of it. Personally I would lift it and overwinter in a coldframe or similar if you can :smile:.

• AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
        +606
        I had no luck in overwintering Wendy's Wish here in Gloucestershire. Unlike the greggii types, the slightest hint of winter wet and that was the end of it. Personally I would lift it and overwinter in a coldframe or similar if you can :smile:.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,992
        Wendy's Wish is one of the few that I have lost over winter here (Doncaster, so not that far from Leeds, but possibly a bit less rain because we're further east). I haven't tried any of the other "Wish" ones.

Amistad, on the other hand, has been pretty reliable both in the ground and in pots pushed up against the house wall for winter. I do have free-draining sandy soil, which helps because they're not sitting in waterlogged soil even if it does rain a lot.

A mulch won't hurt if it's something dry like a pile of dead leaves, or straw. I don't think I'd put anything that holds much water over the crowns.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,527
          Wendy's Wish and Love and Wishes aren't hardy in my garden in SW France but Amistad and Black and Blue have survived 2 winters.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,992
          I think I read somewhere that some of the "Wish" series were bred (or discovered?) in Australia. It's possible that they're more hardy there.