Sambucus golden lace

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Thevictorian, Aug 21, 2024.

1. Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
    +367
    Hi, does anyone know the cultivar sambucus golden lace? Rather unhelpfully our local nursery has just the name and the price on the label and the only places I've seen listing it online have similarly confusing info. I'm basically trying to find out if it's just a sambucus nigra cultivar (the one at the nursery just looks like a green "black lace" as it's in a shady spot) or sambucus racemosa. I have seen it listed as racemosa but the leaves look like nigra in the flesh and confusingly the picture of it on the site selling it has nigra foliage but then says red berries in the description.

Thanks

2. Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
    Ratings:
    +687
    Does the description here just muddy the waters or make things clearer?

IMG_5901.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,030
      From Google-

What is the difference between Sambucus nigra and racemosa?

The flowers on nigra are organized in a flat dome shape with all flowers coming off one stem, similar to a head of cauliflower. Racemosa has a more pointed flower arrangement with the flowers coming off the main stem similar to branches of a pine tree.

Is there a reason you need to know the difference?
      I have S. Nigra Black Lace and S. nigra Aurea in my garden.

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +367
      Hi, I already have a fair few sambucus nigra cultivars as I like them and they do well here, so it's just really a case of wanting something a little bit different and racemosa has red berries.

That is one of the sites I looked at and most seem to list it as a racemosa cultivar, with clearly racemosa leaves but then some have a picture of nigra leaves and the plant at the nursery looked like nigra leaves as well.

I wasn't really in the market for one but it is a nice sized plant at a good price, so now trying to either talk myself out of it or find justification for buying it.

• Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
      Ratings:
      +687
      Kordes’ other name for it seems to be “Morden Golden Glow” and it seems to have been developed by Morden Nurseries. They are in Manitoba in Canada. So maybe there are two golden ones, and the one you get depends on who the supplier is. Odd.

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,030
      My aurea has almost never had more than a few red berries even in a good year.
      Usually it has none.
      It rarely flowers either, but the leaves look good.
      The black lace does flower well, but berries are few and far between.

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +367
      I looked up S. nigra aurea because I didn't think it should have red berries, it should just be a gold version of our native elder, so a purple black berry? However looking online it's got me more confused as half the pictures again look like they show two species. The nigra aurea should have normal elder leaves, just golden but in a lot of the pictures (often on the same description) it shows plants with heavily incised leaves which is a racemosa trait, or so I thought, with nigra being more characteristic pinnate.

I admittedly don't know much about the genus so it's a lot of guesswork on my half and I may be seeing things that don't exist, unless the new foliage massively changes as the leaves grow to a more characteristic shape.

I'll probably just buy the plant and see what happens. At best I'll have an interesting new plant, at worst my allotment will look a little prettier.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1