Sand

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Skiver, Apr 26, 2005.

1. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    About 15 months ago I had my garden landscaped. For one reason and another I didn't get a whole lot done in it last year.

The gardener left behind a heap of sand and some hard core. The latter I can shift by loading it into the car and dropping it at the tip, but the sand is saturated, contaminated with leaves, twigs and goodness knows what else. It will take forever to bag it up and several trips to the tip as well, otherwise I'll damage the suspension. I reckon I can get two shovelfuls into a standard garden bag before it becomes too heavy for the bag, me, or both of us.

I can't think of any way at all to get rid of it, yet it is currently no use to man, woman or (in my case) lawyer.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    A friend used to swear by mixing sand and compost and sprinkling it all over the lawn

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Some neighbour or gardener would give his eyeteeth for this... put note in Newsagent window , lol
    Lawyer !

[ April 26, 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Ladybird ]

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    You could always buy a 'skip bag' , usually available from B&Q or somewhere like that. It is basically a 1 ton ballast bag that is bright orange, you fill it with all your rubbish (make sure it is near the road for collection, as it will get heavy as you fill it), call the number on the bag, and a lorry with a crane comes and removes it. If what you have is that heavy, I would suggest a wheelbarrow and barrow your sand etc to the bag. It will be hard work, but it will get rid of your rubbish, alternatively, get a skip.

Nathan.

5. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I considered the skip option, but the problem is more one of weight rather than volume. A skip bag might be the answer, I'll look into that.