Santa delivered a Dicksonia Antartica - Advice needed

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by NewBhoy, Dec 26, 2015.

1. NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    Merry Christmas all,

On Christmas morning I was given a 1 foot Dicksonia Antartica, It's lovely.

However, it's almost January and I have no idea how to care for it really. I'm presuming that it is too cold to plant out just now and that I should wait for spring. Do I keep it in the house in the meantime? There are 3 fronds in place, 1 looks a little brown and frost damaged, do I remove them or keep them in place for the time being?

I've done a google but most of the advice is for established plants.

Thanks
    Patrick

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing you don't know if it was inside or out before you got it, might be an idea to ask Santa which garden centre he picked it up from and give them a call to ask :)

They're quite hardy, but if it's been kept indoors it'll need hardening off by keeping it outside during the day and bringing it in a night for a week, not that its that cold at the moment, but this wind wouldn't do it any favours.

No harm in cutting back the old growth at this time of year.

They're a target for thieves when they get bigger, a lot of folk have them microchipped.

3. NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks Zigs.
    It was from the local Garden Centre, so it was outside but undercover.
    I thought it may have been hardened off already , coming from the North Pole, but seemingly Santa does his shopping locally.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,125
      I have a few . They are hardy ..... ish.

Id bring in the small one and put it in a cool conservatory. Failing that leave outside in a sunny sheltered spot.

A short sharp frost will brown the fronds. I put a ball of fleece into the crown to protect next years croziers(fronds) and also a fleece bag if frost threatens.

-4c will blacken fronds.
      -10c will kill a big one thats not been well protected. ( i lost 6 five footers in that bad freeze in 2010 :yikes:

Keep it moist at all times indoors and out. Feed it some seaweed from spring through summer. Keep the green fronds on if you can during winter as it helps keep its strength, grows quicker in spring time and prevents the crown from getting too small and tight too.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
        +67
        Thanks WeeTam, that's really helpful.

I'll keep it outdoors in the pot and move indoors if a frost threatens, would a garage be alright or should I go for in the house (I've no greenhouse).

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,125
        n the garage for a few days and it will be fine. If theres a window in there it be will be ok for longer.

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
        +67
        Perfect, thanks. I'll let you know if it survives.

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
        +67
        Just a quick update, the Dicksonia has come on great so far. It had 9 heathy fronds so far, and shows no sign of slowing down.

Any advice on keeping it in shape would be more than welcome. Especially on when/ if to pot up or cut fronds. IMG_0544.JPG

• Like Like x 2
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,125
          Looking very heathy. To keep it that way id feed it and water water water it. Dont cut the fronds.I dont even cut the damaged ones after winter now as it helps to keep the crown open.
          Mine in pots seem happy and its easy to protect them in winter this way. Better off in the ground but what happns if it goes to -10c again?

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1