1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. OCTOBER PHOTO COMP Is now open so why not pop an entry in.. The theme is "WATER"
    Dismiss Notice

Sarracenia - carnivorous plant!

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by FlourishAnn, May 18, 2018.

1. FlourishAnn

FlourishAnn Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Sarracenia - how to grow her? Maybe you are wondering 'is it easy or hard' or 'how to do it', but don't worry! Sarracenias are very popular carnivorous plants, so you can easily get them. What is more, it is easy to grow them. The only thing that you have to remember is that they have to be watered as many times as possible. Soil have to be wet all the time, because these are their natural conditions. Have you got some carnivorous plants?

2. PetalsonthePavingSlabs

PetalsonthePavingSlabs Gardener

Environmental Health
    Ratings:
    +106
    Not at the moment @FlourishAnn , I have killed several venus fly traps over the years with tap water, even though I know it does them no good I cant help myself! Am currently working in the falklands where there is a type of sundew, but havent seen any yet, although its going into winter down here and plants are dieing off.

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    I grow quite a lot of carnivorous plants. Mine live in a peat and moss mix in washing up bowls.
    I would be wary of growing them in soil even if permanently wet as their natural environment is low nutrient acid conditions. Also use rain water or distilled water.