1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving potatoes for seed.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Xxxlizxxx, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Xxxlizxxx

Xxxlizxxx Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone save their small potatoes for growing next year, if so how do you store them? I am interested in having a go at it especially with heritage ones. Thanks

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +21,956
    For the first time this year I used a potato saved from the previous year, only because that variety is no longer available in the UK. I'm saving potatoes from this year's plants for next year. If they become available again I wouldn't bother planting my saved spuds, but will continue to save as insurance against this happening again.

A few things I'm doing:

Growing them in pots in polytunnels to reduce chance of blight.
    Letting grow as long as possible to full maturity, cutting tops 2 weks before lifting and avoiding washing as these are supposed to increase storage time

Last year I kept them overwinter in frost free shed in potato bags, not hessian sacks, but the onion/potato drawstring bags from Poundland for storing veg in, and suspended off the ground incase of mice.

This year I only had one potato saved when I realised that variety wasn't being sold this year, but it was about 2.5 lbs, had lots of eyes, so I divided into several pieces, plus buried it in moist potting compost and removed and potted up rooted chits, producing quite a few plants from just one seed spud.

My saved tubers are now dry and ready to bag up for storage. I've kept seperate any infected with scab as I want to see whether removing rooted chits will leave the desease behind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Xxxlizxxx

Xxxlizxxx Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      Thanks for sharing, I will give it a go.