1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Is sbk the same as glysophate in that it is inert when it reaches the soil?

I treated my ground elder yesterday by painting it neat onto the leaves.. couldn't mix it up as I only have one watering can.

Does SBK work in the same way as glysophate - taking it back to the roots? Because there is no way I will have got EVERY leaf I'm sure.

I'm just getting a bit worried about other plants and the runner beans I want to plant soon!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    No it's very different to glyphosate, it will stay in the soil for a few weeks, so don't plant runner beans there.

3. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Ah! Oops!

Does it get into the soil even when I've only painted it onto a couple of elder leaves on the area?

I think the sbk will be relagated to the back of the cupboard.

I've just read in the small print it says 6 weeks before replanting... I wrongly assumed that was if you sprayed it, not touch applied to leaves.

My beans haven't sprouted yet... just wondering if they'll wait 6 weeks!

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm not sure Victoria, if you only brushed it onto the leaves you might be alright.

5. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Well, I think I've learned a valuable gardening lesson there!

Hmm.... not sure what to do!

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You should have learnt the most important lesson - read the instructions first.

Not sure what painting it on neat will do.

Given we've had no rain, I assume that the SBK is still on the leaves. you could dig the ground elder out and burn it or throw it out. If you leave it to decompose insitu then you should treat the ground as contaminated for at least 6 weeks, probably longer as its still on the leaves and not in the soil.

or chop the leaves off close to the ground with a pair of shears, wait for them to regrow, couple of weeks, spray with glyphosate, wait a couple of weeks and plant you runner beans if this is the only site for them - and keep your fingers crossed.

I dont think that glyphosate is 100% effective on ground elder from just one hit, needs repeating treatment

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I thought the instructions said 'leave six weeks between applications' and I had read somewhere (after googling) that sbk was harmless when on soil. Plus the packet states children and pets needn't be excluded once dry, so it all made me think it was ok.

A silly lapse yesterday when I had a short amount of time free to get the job done. Stupid stupid me!

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    We all learn from our mistakes Victoria :thumb:

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm! Well SBK is my poison of choice for broad-leaved weeds. I've eradicated ground-elder from 3 gardens using it. If you paint it on the leaves, not every leaf, the poison is taken into the roots and only kills the target weed. It's inside the plant and doesn't spread in the soil. I would be reluctant to use it in a watering can and actually put it into the ground. Basically it's "Agent Orange" and has to be treated with respect but I've found it to be the most effective treatment for broad-leaved weeds.
    When I'm treating bindweed (wrapped round other plants) I just paint the bindweed and avoid the other plants. It's never affected the other plants.

10. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Thank you. I just didn't even think about crops as I gayly plotted to end the life of the ground elder by the fence.

I'm waiting the six weeks before planting my beans, in case I poison my family!

How long does it take to work?

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Thank you. I just didn't even think about crops as I gayly plotted to end the life of the ground elder by the fence.

I'm waiting the six weeks before planting my beans, in case I poison my family!

How long does it take to work?

12. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    Cajary, thanks and I've had a look at what wikipedia says about Triclopyr, SBK's active ingredient.

Triclopyr is a systemic, foliar herbicide in the pyridine group. It is used to control broadleaf weeds while leaving grasses and conifers unaffected.

Triclopyr is unusually effective on woody plants and is used for brush control in rights of way and defoliation of wooded areas. It is sold under the trade names Garlon and Release for these purposes.

Also handy for broadleaf weeds,
    Triclopyr is formulated both as an ester and as an amine salt. The usual tradeoffs regarding effectiveness, drift, and toxicity to humans apply to these two formulations.

[edit] Environmental Issues
    Triclopyr breaks down in soil with a half-life of between 30 and 90 days. One of the byproducts of breakdown, trichloropyridinol, remains in the soil for up to a year. Triclopyr degrades rapidly in water. It remains active in decaying vegetation for about 3 months

13. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    So does this mean lots of watering would help it leave the area?

14. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
  15. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    That's a useful link. HSB. If you read the intructions on any chemical you buy, you will be safe. The sellers have spent millions of pounds making sure they can't be sued!!
    These sites are useful in telling you how to use them in a more practical way but you have to bear in mind that they're all poisons, cue "Silent Spring")