Scale insect on perennial Salvias’s

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, Oct 21, 2024 at 5:57 PM.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,353
    Hi all

Hope you ok with Ashley

I have been growing perennial Salvia past two years , I had taken cuttings during the summer lol .. summer …. !!! And today I was putting away in the greenhouse to over winter.. I was checking each pot for snails and slugs , and that’s when I saw the scale insects .. on the stems , I was trimming the young plants so removed a lot and I squished the others I could spot …

is this usual to have scale insects and what could I use to get rid of them ?

as usual any information will be appreciated

Spruce

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,583
    As they're not edible plants, I'd water them with a systemic insecticide if there is one still available in UK. Perhaps give them another dose once they need watering again, to break the life cycle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +4,692
      If plants in a greenhouse, you can use a Flea Puffer from a pet shop.

Close all windows and doors, set it off and don't go into the greenhouse for at least 3 hours, then open everything and Voila! all little pests eliminated for a long time. Works a treat.

• Informative Informative x 1