Scented geranium (pelargonium) sponge

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ClaraLou, May 1, 2010.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I must admit I haven't put this to the test yet but it sounds rather interesting. Certainly a change from a plain old Victoria sponge. I believe the idea dates from the 1800s.

Scented geranium leaf sponge

20 Scented geranium leaves
    8 oz (225 g) butter
    8 oz (225 g) caster sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    8 oz (225 g) self-raising flour, sifted

decoration:-

scented geranium leaves
    icing sugar

1. Grease and line two 8 in (20 cm) sandwich tins. Arrange the geranium leaves on the lining paper.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) Gas 5.

3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time, to the creamed mixture, beating well. Fold in the flour.

4. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden.

5. Turn out of the tins and cool on wire racks. Remove the leaves and lining paper.

6. Sandwich the sponges with a filling of your choice. Arrange some geranium leaves on top of the sponge, then sift over some icing sugar. Carefully remove the leaves before eating.

-----------------------------

No varieties of scented pelargonium are specified, but I imagine this might work with p. 'Attar or Roses' or p. 'Mabel Grey' which has a lemony scent. Both are available from Vernons Geraniums, www.geraniumsuk.com.

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Thanks Clara, interesting recipe, have you, or, did you make it yet?

If so, what was the taste like??

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Hello Penny

I must admit I haven't tried this yet (maybe I should have experimented a bit before I put this on the forum!!) but I've got some scented pelargoniums on order so I'll have a go later in the season and let you know how things work out.