scented geraniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alan.rawlinson, Sep 7, 2009.

1. alan.rawlinson

alan.rawlinson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone advise re scented geranium hardiness. I have a stunning TOMATISOM (spelling?) in a pot and would like to plant it out if it is hardy?????

Many thanks
    AL

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Hello Alan

I have had scented Geraniums for perhaps 20-25 years, mostly in Buckinghamshire where I kept them in an unheated conservatory. I would say they are not suitable for the outside in the UK but you may be very mild where you are and perhaps someone else will come along and advise accordingly.

I have them here now in the ground and have done so for about eight years but this is a different scenario obviously and they tolerate the heat and near-on drought better than the 'annual' Geraniums. They thrive but the annual Geraniums do not as we are too hot and dry and mine will only start blooming in the next month or so as we get cooler ... we are still in the low 30s in the daytime high 20s at night and have not had rain for four months. The only other Geraniums that thrive here without water and in full intense sun are the giant (1-2 meter tall) ones.

3. alan.rawlinson

Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo Victoria,

Appreciate your help - lucky you in Portugal where the gardening possibilities are greater with the much lower risk of frost. The velvet leaved Geranium TOMATISOM that I have is very vigorous and obviously wants to expand out of the pot - hence my question. However, I think it will be safer inside this winter!!

Thanks again
    Alan in Cornwall..

4. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know G Tomatison -what does it smell like?

I have had the peppermint scented plus rose, pine, nutmeg etc but my real favourite was the variegated lemon scented one.

Not surprised they do well in Portugal as they are natives of South Africa

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Mine is the lemon-scented one, heavenly ... t'other half hates it, along with all Geraniums ... he does not like it when I crush the leaves in his presence .... :hehe: Isn't there a pineapple one or something odd like that? :scratch:

They are all wonderful and do like the dry heat ... :yho: .... that is except for the annual ones. I've learnt here by looking at what the garden centers do and in all of them the annual ones are typically outside but under a shade sail, ie, so the sun doesn't directly go onto them. This also goes for Petunias and Begonias and what we British think of 'sun loving' plants ....

6. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    I have a variety, that during the winter months, even with snow all around, I look at their leaves and it seem to not even faze them. They smell so good also. And they keep growing wider and wider. This fall I have to move some of the hosta near them because they keep growing. Yah, I know I can split them, but rather move the smaller hosta and split that.
    And they bloom so nice in mid-spring for a good while. I think the name is Jacob something, or close to that. At office now, so can't run out to find a tag. They are in semi shade also.

7. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I believe that there is a pelargonium (geranium) that smells like chocolate when the leaves are crushed. I think that it was introduced some two or three years ago at a flower show.

8. alan.rawlinson

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Redstar - you are tempting me to try an outside ( in the ground) location this coming winter.

I have a wide collection and the strongest being '' Mabel Grey '' of course. The leaves are almost oily and heavily laden with the lemon scent. The one which runs away with growth and can become quiet a huge shrub, smelling strongly of lemon is '' Graveolens '' . One year I took dozens of cuttings from this rampant plant and grew them on for a charity stall where they were very much appreciated.

Would appreciate any other names I can collect

Lovage - The TOMATOSUM scent is a light lemon, and the leaves are very attractive and covered in velvety down.

Cheers // Alan