Schefflera taiwaniana

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Oct 17, 2011.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Can anyone help me to find a Schefflera taiwaniana or impressa , It seams that the only one who sell that is ...crug farm.....I would even be happy with seeds.

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Hmm... problem with that is if Crug Farm are the only ones who sell it then chances are that's because they were the first to bring it into the country:sunny:

Fabulous place though and highly recommend a visit:thumbsup:

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Can't help sal, Pan Global only have S Delavayi and S Rhododendrifolia.
    Not sure whether Akamba do Scheffies.

4. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
  5. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi Bilbo , thank you for the web but couldn`t find any Schefflera taiwaniana at crocus .....thank you to strongylodon didn`t know about Pan Global . I do love Grug Farm , nothing agaist them , they do have some of the most unusual plant , I just try not to spend that ammount of money for a single plant , apparently it really hardy and went through last year frost with no problem.

6. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Look right at the bottom of that page Sal:dbgrtmb:

I can't get the page to load at crocus though so I'd send them an email

7. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi Sal, I've just tried my own link, it's definitely there, it's the last plant, but there's no image :thumb:

8. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Crocus have been suggesting they will sell Scheffies for a couple of years, they never turn up.

The hardy Schefflera are difficult to microprop so unlikely to turn up via sheds until they can be mass produced.

S rhododendrifolia is the correct name for what many call S impressa. There is another plant often refered to as "The Garden House" Schefflera, sometimes called a rhododendrifolia, but is apparantly an unknown species. This one should be reasonably hardy and I have one in the garden to test this winter. We saw this one in person earlier this year and it does look different. The garden house one is usually available from PGP for about £30 (although Nick doesnt do mail order).

Hardy Exotics down in Cornwall also sell various scheffleras but they dont often have any, and they usually sell them in person. Prices again about £30.

Crug are not the only people to have brought these in, the Late Edward Needham helped introduce several forms, and the usual impressa form sold out of Cornwall comes from a Kew introduction. Crug do fortunately do mail order, their plants are first class although often a little more expensive.

Crug, however are usually the most reliable source for taiwaniana.

Akamaba was mentioned above, they had hoped to have some last year, grown from seed but unfortunately when the plants were big enough to identify they were the wrong species.

9. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Thank you guys , but when you click on Crocus to order the plant , nothing comes out......thank you Gaz , for the information , btw last saturday while I was working in London I saw a normal Schefflera planted in a neighbour garden , it look just like the one from b&Q dark green palmate leaves , but as I notice London have a better microclimate from us , all the cordiline and flax there still all up and even managed to see a lemon plant in the soil still alive. The problem with Grug is the £30 of the delivery charge (they are sending the plant in a taxi ) plus the £60 for the plant.
    Gaz could you suggest me a good garden center around Bedforshire?

10. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    With Crug its worth making a bigger order. They do package plants very very well, and use a good courier, but yes for one plant P&P can seem quite a lot.

As for garden centres in Bedfordshire, we dont really have any with a paticular exotic focus.
    However some that we do like locally are Frosts (Willington and also at Woburn), Seasons on the A6 just to the south of Bedford is ok, Poplars near junction 12 of the M1 sometimes have some unusual plants. However all of those are normal garden centres so you are taking pot luck with what they have.

Slightly further afield is the Mediteranean Nursery near Bovingdon in Herts, you then have the Palm Centre in London (well worth the trip), Akamba near Birmingham or Olive Grove nursery near Oundle. All with lots of exotics/tropical plants.

• Like Like x 1
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      Thank you again Gaz ; )....so far it look like i will have to wait till spring and maybe will be more lucky .
      Thank you all and please any nice suggestion about unusual hardy plants are more then welcome.