Seagate 1TB USB External HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Palustris, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Anyone got one? Are they as good as the reviews suggest?
    Thinking of getting one to back up the things from the PC. The one I have a present is not really big enough, onlu 80g.
    TIA

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Yes had one for about 6 months and it does what it says on the tin and is easy to set up and use. I've also got a 500GB external drive. The Seagate is set up to backup 'my documents' which includes all my photos. I also use some software - 'Acronis True Image Home' to capture a weekly 'image' of my HDD which means that, in theory at least, I can recover everything in the event of a HDD crash. I alternate the saving of the HDD 'image' between the two drives.

I'm taking a belt and braces solution to backup since a catastrophic crash last year which lost a book I was writing, a couple of months of photos and a year and a half of data from a database from another hobby

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I to have two external hard drives. 1TB and 500GB Not Seagate, but they are performing well.
    Like Dave I two lost loads of stuff due to hard drive (internal failure)
    Although I dont go to the extremes Dave does I do regular backups onto both drives and keep my new windows 7 laptop internal drive as clear as possible. Call me paranoid, but it really is a pain when you lose pictures and other files.

Segate drive I believe have good reviews and is probable a good choice.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    I used to have a Seagate and had no problems. Gave it away as I neede a bigger one. I now have a Maxtor that is OK as well.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Cheers. Ordered one. Funny though, we had a major crash on the old computer some time back. I bought an ICY box, removed the old Disc drive from the Computer and fitted it in the Box. then on another computer I downloaded a data recovery program from the GNU website, thus free. I recovered all my pictures, writings, everything except the music and the stuff on the damaged part of the drive. The music was odd, in that it would play the first few bars, then not find any more. Did not matter I had it all on CD anyway for playing in the car.
    If it does happen to anyone then for goodness sake do NOT reload Windows before trying to recover material, that formats the drive and then you do need professional help.
    The ICY box was £24 and now is used as an extra storage facility for pictures.

6. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    All you really need to recover your data files is a "live" CD of any OS. Boot it from the live CD and you can then access your files. Copy them to another HDD or Flash drives, then re-install Windows or WHY.
    An easy way out and needn't cost anything.