Sealing marble tiles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Anyone got any tips?

I had my downstairs loo and back porch done with 3" marble tiles. I was supposed to have sealed them with a can of something I can no longer find. :dunno:

So I did a search (as one does!) and found all sorts of 'advice' about dealing with marble floors and now I don't know where to begin!!

They were laid about two years ago and never sealed. Since then I had some work done which included putting in bi-fold doors (loo and 'tool room' opposite) and sliding door cupboard in the loo plus new back and inner doors. So plenty of builders stuff spread around which I suspect won't make the job any easier.

I obviously can't do the job myself because a) my shoulders are kaput and b) I'm hopeless at this kind of thing.

tool room.jpg loo door.jpg back door.jpg

So just what of chap should I be looking for? "Marble tile sealers" didn't get much on a Google search nor on Yell.com! :snork:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I had a feeling you'd be the one to respond, Zig!
    That looks like the biz - thank you!

Not much point in me buying a 200ml can though, is there?
    I mean - how far does this go?

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You'll need Vulpex Liquid Soap to clean it off first before applying the wax.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    anything else?

And will the 200ml do or should I get the *cry* £60 can?

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    That is interesting Ziggy. Twelve years ago we had about six meters of 'white' marble counters put in the kitchen. in an L-shape and a peninsula ... the biggest mistake we made as it should have been granite, but you cannot get 'white' granite. Not that you can get 'white' marble', it is veined grey and pink but close enough. Marble is an absolute nightmare in my opinion. I have glass slabs everywhere and even refuse to put a hot mug of tea on them. Every little smudge shows much to my horror!

I have bought all the expensive products and my Sis has even sent stuff from the States ... all useless! Strangely, the best thing I have found to use is old-fashioned neutral shoe polish, you know, Kiwi? It's hard going but does the job!

Fortunately we have all ceramic tiled floors and not marble like a lot of homes have here. Daisees, I really feel for you here.

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Oh glory! and I was sooo delighted to get these tiles at a fraction of their real price!
    *sigh* too late now

Thanks anyway, Victoria. At least I know what I'm in for!