Seasonal plants for this shady pot

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Dropmore, Sep 8, 2024.

1. Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
    +137
    Hi all , I've got this pot in my front garden and it's been there for years full of weeds so now I've took a bit of a fancy to gardening I would like to plant some colourful flowers in it.
    My back garden faces due south so the front faces due north so it won't get much sun also being on display at the front I'm thinking seasonal bedding perhaps rather than a permanent resident
    I've got some john innes no3 , some jacks magic ,and some top soil in the garage so can I make a growing mix out of this for it
    Thanks 20240908_135308.jpg

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    That's a nice looking pot @Dropmore :)

How big is it and do you want flowers or greenery?

You can't go wrong with Narcissus Tete a tete bulbs, and I'm just hinting that JParkers gives them for free if you spend over £50 :biggrin:

For winter delight Gaulthera is a classic and will do ok in non- ericaceous compost for one winter. Hellebores are lovely too. Spring bulbs galore is an easy and affordable way to have something bright from January onwards, plant in layers and discard the bulbs once they are done or dig in the garden.

Variegated Ivy or Vinca Minor look good trailing down the sides. Vinca also flowers pretty much throughout the year.

• Like Like x 1
    • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,909
      I'd add begonia semperflorens or/and impatiens for summer, maybe some pansies....the big flowered varieties...not those wispy little viola types for over winter. They'll all do well. Plus primulas to go with the spring bulbs, you should be able to have that pot in flower year round

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,961
      A light coloured Heuchera like H. Marmalade would look good in that pot with some winter pansies, plus a trailing ivy perhaps.

• Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
      +137
      Thanks its only a small pot 30 cm wide 30 cm deep . All good suggestions, the tete a tete would look lovely in spring with the blue pot and hellebores are a good shout just googled hellebore niger and it also looks lovely planted with vegitated ivey.
      As flounder said all year colour is the aim so probably start with the big panseys However when I was browsing in the GC the I liked the look of the big cyclamen . Do you reckon I'd get a few months out of them.
      Thanks.

• Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
      +137
      Thanks plantminded just googled heuchera marmalade and marmalade lime and they look good
      ( got paris in the back which flowered may till November last year ) .Would I squeeze Panseys and ivey in a pot that size with a heuchera . Not got much imagination I'm afraid.

• Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
      +137
      The finished pot. 20240918_142259.jpg

• Like Like x 4
      • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,961