Seaweed Foliage Spray how often and better then Watering in???

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Sally Parker, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    I mainly use (And really like to use) seaweed liquid fertiliser in my garden and normally water it in, but lately I read that it's better to spray it on the foliage. So, the question is, how often should I be doing this and as my soil 'seems' to be quite poor in nutrients, dry and extremely quick draining, would it be more beneficial to water it in as well, to enrich the soil a little bit?? Also, I know that seaweed doesn't contain ALL nutrients plants need, so should I mix in something else, another type of fertiliser, in with the seaweed, so that the other nutrients are also added??

How often should I be feeding the garden? Is weekly too much??

I know I need to improve the soil, but this is going to take a lot of time and money which I really don't have! So, in the meantime, feeding my garden regularly seems to me, to be the best option.

I do have a mixture of plants in my garden like lavenders, Rosemary, Thyme etc., which I know don't require too many nutrients, so I will probably not feed them too often.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hiya Sally, well seaweed fan here, big time! Well, used to be. Got car loads and trailor loads of fresh seaweed from the beach and nothing is better for conditioning the soil, for weed free mulching and for deterring slugs etc.....the alginic acid and salt.
    Ok, speech over!
    Seaweed spray from a bottle is more of a tonic and fertiliser. I used seaweed in bulk and this is different. A seaweed spray will not improve your soil, just the plants and a foliage spray or drench os excellent.
    Look to add bulky matter in the autumn or at planting time or as a mulch to improve your soil.
    Depends on what you are growing as to how much and how often to feed.....in pots once a week and alternating with a proprietary balanced feed.
    Fish blood and bone and chicken pellets are great for improving the soil and plants Sally.....use just once or twice a year.
    I'm not keen on overfeeding anything......:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,924
      Good question Sally ,I am a first time user of seaweed spray and as a liquid fertiliser.
      I have no idea how good the results will be ,I just feel the plants appreciate it as an organic option....So far everything looks good ,but I have no way of knowing how much difference it has made as I use other options as well.
      We are also dependant on soil ,weather etc.We can only do the best for our plants.

:hapflowers2:

• Like Like x 1
      • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Thanks Verdun and sorry for late reply!

I just feel that my plants need the extra nourishment because my soil is so dry that I'm constantly having to water it and that must be washing away what little nutrients it has got. :dunno:

I WILL be adding manure and whatever else I can this autumn though and I every new plant I have bought and put in has had fish blood and bone and all the other plants have also had it added to the base around them and forked in. May try chicken pellets too though. :)

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Ok Sally. Try the sustained release pellets freely available in most stores now. Lightiy mixed into the top soil layer will keep your plants fed for several weeks. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
          +145
          Thanks Verdun, will try to get some when I can afford them. :)

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Couple of quid in home bargains for decent size tub Sally :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
            +145
            Thanks Verdun, don't think I have one of those shops near me though.