Second use grow bags for potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by David G, Mar 5, 2011.

1. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi All

I have some grow bags in the greenhouse that were used for Cucumbers last year will they be OK to use for this years bags of early potatoes

Thanks

Dave

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    No , lots of problems with this , all the food used up from last year in the compost, slugs & snail maybe sneeked in over the winter,, plus spuds are greedy like realy good rich growing conditions

Spruce

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I agree with the "food" issue, but I reuse compost for my Spuds.

I put 4" of well rotted manure in the bottom of the bag, 4" of fresh compost and push seed potatoes into that, then another 4" of fresh compost including Vitax Oragnic Potato Fertilizer (which is slow release)

And the I earth up the bags with old compost from last year mixed with more fertilizer.

I do NOT use compost from last year's Potatoes or Tomatoes (they share the same bugs and diseases), but I have plenty of stuff from tubs & urns, as well stuff from pots that didn't make it and so on.

I mix last years Potato left-over compost 50:50 with sharp horticultural sand and user that for Carrots in containers.

Eventually it gets tipped on the garden! but I tend to put it on the flower garden so as not to reintroduce Potato bugs back to the veg garden.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think a lot of people re-use the compost for different uses and I believe both Spruce have their points. Just take care to check for the problems Spruce has pointed out and then Kristen has the way to go!

5. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352

Armandii

Such a gent :dbgrtmb: have you thought of being a couples counsiling :cool: person

Spruce

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Aww, shucks, now I'm embarrassed!:rofl: