See What I Found In My Garden...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CreakyJoints, Jun 30, 2015.

1. CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints Gardener

Ratings:
    +167
    I have a clump of Ladybird poppies (Papaver commutatum) in my garden.
    There are several individual plants in this clump, which I have grown from seed. I had sown a few P.commutatum seeds in a 2 litre pot last autumn then overwintered them in my little "blowaway" walk in mini greenhouse, as I understand this poppy doesn't tolerate wet, windy winter weather.
    To give you a bit of background, I had bought the seed from a nursery who had a stall at Gardening Scotland last May. I scattered a few of the seeds in early June, directly onto the soil, but only one plant grew from this seed.
    Much to my surprise, the one plant that did grow produced flowers in various shades of red or pink and white (see my avatar pic). But, the plant got broken in a very strong gusty wind one day, so I only ever got 4 flowers from that plant.
    Two of the flowers were orangey/salmony/redy in colour as in my avatar pic, one flower was very pale pink and white, and one flower was pure white.
    I did contact the nursery I bought the seed from to ask if they grew any other poppies, but they told me that they had only ever grown the Ladybird poppy. The seed was collected from their own plants, grown on their nursery.
    As I only had this one plant last summer, I thought it was just a fluke and that one individual seed had mutated to produce the pink/red & white flowers instead of the characteristic deep red flower with a black spot at the base of each petal.
    I didn't think I'd see this again from P. commutatum seed...

Imagine my surprise then when I found this on my clump of Ladybird poppies !

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      B.
      U.
      T.
      ful :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints Gardener

Ratings:
        +167
        Thanks "M", it really is beautiful. I'm a fairly novice gardener but I do like to research things, especially things that are not "normal" for that particular plant.
        I know that you can get a "Shirley" poppy, but that is Papaver rhoeas. Didn't know you could get anything like this from P. commutatum...especially 2 years in a row :spinning::hapfeet:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints Gardener

Ratings:
          +167
          Today, there are 2 identical pink and white flowers :yay:.
          I can see a few more paler buds on the plant too, so it looks like I'll have more pink P. commutatum :hapydancsmil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the mess. My garden is a work in progress just now :spinning: