seed advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lowrider69, Mar 2, 2018.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi guys I bought myself a cheap greenhouse last week before all the weather come in and had been planting my seeds I had planted out in small containers, it was fine even with the snow but then the wind ripped the cover and I got up to find all the dirt frozen, I quickly took them all in doors and left them overnight or till this weather passes and I can fix the green house,

my question is do you think all the seeds would of been killed off by the dirt freezing over night?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      They should be fine, more chance of heat damaging seeds than cold. Some species actually require chilling to getminate. The only danger is that they started germinating before they froze.

"Freezing seeds
      does not harm them, and can greatly extend their lifespan if done properly. All seed banks freeze their seeds intended for long term storage!"

P.S. Which species are they?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1