Seed catalogues

Discussion in 'Retailer Feedback' started by levoire, Dec 3, 2006.

1. levoire

levoire Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    o [​IMG] Just wondering what people think of the Dobies seed catalogue? Ive found them pretty reasonable most vegtable seeds i order from them arrive fairly promptly and grow well. If vyou also use Dobies (there actully called Samuel Dobie in paington Devon) Good or Bad experiences please add to this new topic. thanks. [​IMG]

2. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have bought seed from Dobies and have no complaints about them. I was slightly miffed when some Surfinia petunias which I ordered as young plants didn't arrive when promised, though. I 'phoned and was told that this was due to "problems with the supplier". When they eventually arrived they grew fine, but I wouldn't have been too pleased if I had been planning to use them in some sort of display by a certain date.

3. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Just got the Chiltern catalogue today .

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Gogs I have heard that Chiltern are a good seed company to go with though I haven't dealt with them myself :D :D

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Got my catalogue from them two weeks ago ... they are brill! Bought from them a few months ago, received everything within weeks. They have this year done the funniest veg catalogue for 2007 ... we have had the best chuckle and we are not veg folk.

Go for it Gogs and Kandy! [​IMG]

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have always found Chilterns and their catalogue very good. In the back this year is a picture of the staff and premises. I had no idea that for such a huge catalogue its such a small organisation. They work out of a big house.

7. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Me too,have dealt with them many times.

8. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just recieved a T&M catalogue, as I haven't ordered from them yet for Spring. Ã?£5 off voucher and 2 free packs of seed [​IMG] [​IMG] My total order price is 75p and that includes postage!!!! Yay!!! Have no idea where I'm going to grow them - I have more than enough seeds already!!! But there's so many that I could not resist!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    I ordered some seeds from kings seeds the other week and they came very quickly and are very well resonably priced :D . Went into my local wilkinson yesterday and they have buy one get one free offer on all seeds. I might try and grow some veg this year for the first time [​IMG]

10. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Go mowgley - grow some veg! :D
    Chilterns Seeds, very good company. Just written up my seed wish list, 41 in all, but realise that I will have to limit myself to 5 this year as I already have 20 packets from the RHS seed list coming soon. Ah well.

11. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Got the Dobies and Suttons catalogues - I think they are part of the same company. Checking through on veg Dobies were usually cheaper for most things. Marshalls beat them on a few items. Got to get somethings from Marshalls, I always thought their choice of onions and shallots were better. The missus wants me to try their fancy French shallots.
    Still trying to work through Chilterns catalogue and then the headache of what can I afford? Oh and then there is Plant Worlds. The more catalogues you get the more confused you get.

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Don't forget Kings..... and Plants of Distinction, with the veg one, simply veg, I think.....

Yes Dobies and Suttons are the same - as I found when I was trying to sort out a confusion with one, and they said they would automatically fix the other.

13. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd often thought that Dobies and Suttons might be the same. I haven't had a Suttons catalogue for years, but I seem to recall that Dobies' prices were usually cheaper for the same varieties of seed.I wonder why this company trades under two different names. Very strange.

14. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Just found the Tuckers Seeds website and their prices are pretty good. Also offer quite a lot of organic seed.
    http://www.tuckers-seeds.co.uk/
    Anyone used them before?

15. annej

annej Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, checkout [email protected] reasonably priced seeds, packs give an approximation of contents. Packs are plain with instructions.
    annej