1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seed Collecting: 2013

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by "M", Jul 27, 2013.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Apart from sunflowers last year, I've never collected seed before :redface:

I'm wondering, which seeds (if any) you plan on harvesting this year? Do you have any particular 'techniques'?

This morning I have carefully gathered seeds, into an envelope, from:-
    • Aquilegia
    • Chive
    I simply - and carefully - snipped the seed stem as low to the ground as possible, then gently upturned them into an envelope and wiggled, giggled the seeds out. Any remaining in the stems will have to take pot luck because I've simply discarded those stems onto beds where they can rot down/surprise me if they want to.

The lupin has formed seed heads but aren't ready to harvest and the same is true of a yellow iris thingywotsit which sprung up in huge clumps in the Copse this year (see photo below - if anyone can ID that would be a bonus, but as it is the same plant which grows in my pond, I'm guessing a pond iris?).

CIMG0019 (640x480).jpg

Oh and for clueless1 ... please note, despite extensive flooding in the past 12 months, those willow logs truly didn't sprout (as I predicted :heehee: :whistle: So, my hat is off the menu :roflol: )

• Like Like x 3
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Lupin
      Cirsium
      Knautia
      Annual Poppies[some "liberated" while on the Fishing Holiday:snork:]
      Perennial Poppies

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Oh yes, I have some really frilly poppies to collect, but they won't be ready for a few weeks I reckon.

Apart from the poppies and lupin, I'll need to look up the others you mention.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        I do pretty much the same as you, "M" except I like to use a paper bag if I have one available or even a roomy carrier bag. I've just harvested G psilostemon which tends to drop before I get to them so I've cut the whole stem down and left them upside down in the bag to dry off.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1