Seed collection question?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Freedom_Spark, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I would like to try & collect seeds from a few flowers this year to increase the amount I have next year! Is this a little too ambitious for a beginner or is it easy to collect seeds? Is there a specific time the little pods should be collected? I noticed one on my little violas yesterday which had opened & had little brown seeds inside, (sorry to go of subject a little but are violas annuals? It's just I planted some on St. Patricks day & they have self seeded all over the place, I wouldn't want to get rid of them if there was a chance they'd come back next year.) Any way is there any advice on the best way to collect & store seeds? Is there the opportunity to collect seeds from all flowers? Thanks.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    When the flower has finished it will go to seed ,collect the seed ,when its dry ,if possible,:skp:
    The best thing is to keep them in a paper bag,so they can breathe, when you are sure they are thoroughly dry ,this may take weeks,any dampness at all and the seeds will rot.
    Put them in an envelope or even a little bag, make sure you label them ,and put them in an airtight container,keep it cool and dry till next spring
    Violas will self seed but you can save it if you want them only in a specific location.
    Most plants make seed ,but some are better divided or cuttings