Seed Exchange

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Liz, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    How many people would be interested in setting up a more organised seed exchange/ sale with guidelines about costs, method of collection, storage etc?
    I know a lot of people do this privately already, and might prefer to keep it on an informal basis, but amongst us we must have a remarkable resource.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Count me in Liz. Some clubs have an organiser, but that sounds like a lot of effort, if not cost, pushed onto one person. One suggestion is just that people publish a list of plants that they have that might be of interest to others and that they would be willing to share via seed. The list doesn't need to have all their plants - just those they are willing to share. The list could also identify people's interest and be used as a basis for sharing their experience.

My own inclination is that it should be inclined to the slightly more unusual (but not just the really obscure), rather than standard bedding plants, where you can buy plants or seed from almost anywhere.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,060
    I do think you could be onto something here, the seed that many of us grow is just wasted.
    Its how to put it over in a way that, could be edited from time to time, as you may forsee having a good crop of a certain seed but then end up with a failure.
    Perhaps something that can be attached to your profile?
    I'm not sure if that is possible at the moment.

4. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Just havested some Cerinthe seeds not dried off... it still raining here, any one interested?

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    If it could be made to work, Liz's suggestion would be very good.

They do something similar on Daves Garden, http://davesgarden.com, I just don't like the forum, very heavy, too many ads and they also have paid member subscriptions.
    However, they do have a comprehensive seed and plant exchange forum.
    Each person offering seeds gives a photograph, a brief discription of the plant, growing conditions and hardiness.
    The site also has a seed trading primer, how to prepare, pack and post seeds etc. Quite useful if you are new to seed collecting.
    http://davesgarden.com/trading/primer/

6. linlin

linlin Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be very interested in joining this and not just for rare seeds as I'm trying to develop my very large garden which this time last year had hardly any flowers.

I have stacks of poppy (papaver) and corn/field chamomile (chamaemelum nobile). Seeds I'd really like are Ox-eye daisy (leucanthemum) and other varieties of poppy.