1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seed Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by andrews, Aug 29, 2018.

1. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    Having just taken advantage of a bit of a saving on end of season Daisylirions, Yuccas and a palm to start the changes of a border I am looking for ideas for drought tolerant (to a level) tropical looking hardy plants to add to the border - I know …. I don't want much ! I'll be sowing different gazanias this autumn for planting out next year as these do well in the border.

We already have day lillies, kniphofia, echium and echivera in the border

As the dogs are in this part of the garden, toxic plants are out as one of the dogs is leaf obsessed.

Looking for textures and some colour although flowers are not essential. Looking to grow from seeds ideally but will buy plants.

All ideas welcome

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,002
    Sea holly (eryngion) - easy from seed but take a couple of years to establish into a decent sized plant.

Brunnera another easy one from seed and good for underplanting in a tropical bed.

Cannas can be grown from seed but either need lifting and storing frost free or heavy mulch over winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Eryngiums are a must then andrews :)
      Santolinas for their silvery grey aromatic domes.....ditto artemisia powys castle. Libertias for their unique colouring and grass like shape and texture. Osteospermums for summer long colour. Thymes too; I esp like one called Silver Posie which is much taller than usual with beautiful grey/pink foliage and pink flowers. Helianthemums, gazanias, gauras, anthemis, euryops, agastaches, euphorbias, senecios, crocosmias like Lucifer, rosemary, hebes, phormiums, grasses like festucas, stipas and helictotrichon, miscanthus, calamagrostis as well as lavenders, nepetas, salvias, pittosporums ....purple, yellow and variegated foliage....cannas, echinaceas, and a load more. Verbena Bonariensis beloved by bees will tower above most else without any support. Cotinus with its unique purple foliage mixed with eucalyptus gunnii provides superb colour contrast.
      If you have echeverias then consider aeoniums.....some spectacular varieties now.....and eucomis like Dark Star and Sparkling Burgundy.
      Hmm! A few ideas I think:)

• Like Like x 1
      • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,369
        Thanks for the suggestions. We have a lot of these in other areas of the garden and can move some of the self sets.

We have an impressive eryngium self set in the wrong place - that will be spared and moved in to this border. We have aeonuims and pups will be planted mainly in an arid bed that is another work in progress. We will add some aeoniums to this border too.

And eucomis - we have a stunning purple one that can be split and a new variegated one that will be in a pot this year - maybe get one off this for next year.

Annoyingly we took out a load of euphorbias from the planned arid border as we didn't think that the cottage border was being re-worked at that time. We do have euphorbia firecracker in a planter and will probably move this next spring.

Will add some before and in progress (it wont be after) pics later in the week.

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,369
        @JWK how do brunneras cope with full sun ? We have one but it is in another part of the garden where it has plenty of shade. I forgot to mention that the bed is south facing with little or no shade throughout the day

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Eryngiums resent being moved andrews :) They all form a tap root; one plant that should never really be moved.
        Re eucomis, I have several now from one initial bulb. They offset quickly and benefit from being potted on individually.
        Brunneras are essentially a shade plant. This is a sunny all day garden and brunneras here are in the shadiest spot possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Lots of what if I may ask? Also where in the UK are you (I'm suspecting somewhere mild)?

Canna paniculata is hardy here in the Cotswolds and is even self seeding here now. Some Hedychium are hardy here as is Zantedeschia elliottiana.............
          [​IMG]Zantedeschia elliottiana by longk48, on Flickr

Amaranthus comes in many shapes and forms. Annual but a reliable self seeder. These germinated in June and are now 2.5 metres tall............
          [​IMG]Amaranthus sp. by longk48, on Flickr

Lobelia tupa is both drought and winter hardy..............
          [​IMG]Lobelia tupa by longk48, on Flickr

[​IMG]Lobelia tupa by longk48, on Flickr

Whilst you may struggle to find seed Iris confusa fits the bill in all other respects............
          [​IMG]Iris confusa by longk48, on Flickr

[​IMG]Iris confusa by longk48, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
          • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,369
            Were in South Yorkshire so not too mild and fairly exposed but do have some shelter from the wind with some established plants. We have a lot of the suggestions in other areas of the garden. We have a tropical 'feel' area and an arid area already planted up so have some of the suggestions to split and move to this border. I'll take pics when we get home to give a feel for the stuff we have and the latest challenges.

We have the polytunnel to over winter tenders but due to the position of this border and the tunnel, Id rather not have tender plants in this border. I realise that this limits my options but I'm trying to work with the conditions rather than fight it, as we have done previously.

Love the lobelia - that has to go in

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,369
            • Like Like x 2
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,002
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                I agree - it looks great!

So a similar climate to mine then.

It's a prairie plant - full sun and on the drier side.

Less tolerant of dry is Tricyrtis and it's hard to come by good seed. Add some horse doo doo and/or leaf mould to the area when planting though and they will be ok. 'Tojen' is more tolerant of sunny conditions and an early bloomer (late July/early August). Often overlooked for exotic settings but worthy of consideration. Fully hardy............
                [​IMG]Tricyrtis 'Tojen' by longk48, on Flickr

If you're not adverse to a bit of seedy action in the spring a couple of annuals;
                Leonotis nepetifolia..........
                [​IMG]Leonotis leonurus by longk48, on Flickr

[​IMG]Leonotis nepetifolia by longk48, on Flickr

The true species Salvia splendens hits a couple of metres in a season. Good hot colour for the exotic look............
                [​IMG]Salvia splendens "Yvonnes Giant" by longk48, on Flickr

[​IMG]Salvia splendens 'Yvonnes Giant' by longk48, on Flickr

Galtonia candicans is a bulb that is easy from seed. Grows to about 1.5 metres and given appropriate drainage is hardy...........
                [​IMG]Galtonia candicans by longk48, on Flickr

[​IMG]Galtonia candicans by longk48, on Flickr

For good hot spring colour you could do worse than Vestia foetida.............
                [​IMG]Vestia foetida by longk48, on Flickr

It's fully hardy and easy from seed. Makes a good sized shrub over time...............
                [​IMG]Vestia foetida by longk48, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +46,002
                  Good ideas there @longk I might have a go at some of those next spring

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,002
                    Mine do well in a South facing bed, planted underneath Trachycarpus and Cordylines.

• Like Like x 1
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      • Informative Informative x 1