seed or turf guys?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by robgil, Jul 11, 2010.

1. robgil

robgil Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    ive got 60 sq meters that i need to lawn , at present it has old grass , weeds and lots of other things growing in it.
    i have cut it all right down and await further instructions.:help:
    i am not a very good gardener but i am learning.

so , what do i do next , do i lay seed or turf? i am also not very rich so the cheapest option may be harder work but i dont mind a bit of graft.

the garden started life like this, at least two years of unattended growth.

[​IMG]

i cut it all back to this.

[​IMG]

then cleared it to this stage where i am today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the old lawn complete with weeds and everything else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so , whats the best way to proceed with this? i take it i will have to clear the old lawn away and turn over the soil yes?

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Wow, you've got a lot of work there!

Turf or seed? It depends on your skill level, your patience and the depth of your pocket.

But now is not a good time for making a new lawn, by any means. Too hot, too dry. Can it wait until autumn, about early October maybe?

When you do it, you'll need to prepare the soil well whichever method you use. Seed is cheaper but requires skill in sowing and watering to get good germination. There's then a longer period of establishment before you can walk on it. Turf can be expensive but it's easy to lay and quicker to establish. Both methods need lots of watering unless there's heavy regular rain.

Good luck!