1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seed sowing gadget

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I've tried various methods of sowing seeds over the years, all have their pros and cons and I have been happy with the methods I use.

One of my neighbours is a nurseryman and I was talking to him about how they do things in bulk and about their methods and he told me about a seed sowing gadget they use for speed. So I bought one before Christmas. This is the model I bought because of the 3 ridges on the shoot, that hold back some seeds whilst using it.

Gardening Handheld Seed Dial Dispenser Plant Flowers Seeds Seeder Sower Grass | eBay
    [​IMG]

You remove the plastic cap and put your seeds in, replace the cap setting the seed hole size as you do so.

Hold it in a claw fashion from above and tap the "shoot" with your forefinger whilst directing the shoot to where you want your seed. You only need 10 secs to get the hang of it to be accurately sowing seeds where you want them.

If your sowing a lot of seeds into modules, this is a "must have" tool.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      That is the seed sowing device I have used for about 6 years , very useful. For larger seeds I don't bother with the sizing lid . For smaller seeds I set the correct size on the dial , and with a little tapping it feeds the seeds as evenly as you need :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I recently bought one of the syringe type from Wilkos; tried it for the first time yesterday - pushed the syringe (couldn't see much!) so pushed it again ... empty! The bliddy thing had released *all* the 15 seeds into the pod :doh::heehee: Won't be using it again ;)

Your one looks much better :blue thumb:

• Funny Funny x 3
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          For very fine seed , it's best to mix them with a little ( teaspoonful ) of silver sand (kiln dried sand ). Then use the seed sower . I have just sown 100 Laurentia seeds which are as big as this full stop "." How do the seed suppliers pack little boogers like this :scratch:

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +8,261
            Poundshop sold these a few years ago, yes they work well. Problem is I keep forgetting where I've put things...........Now whats my name please:rolleyespink:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Cassie

Cassie Gardener

Ratings:
              +201
              Ooh, I'd never seen these before, I'm going to try it. Reckon it will be good for carrot, onion etc.

• Like Like x 1
              • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,858
                I bought one of those things and the same thing happened to me :heehee:

I vote that the 73F5F766-90C6-4E83-8A55-349CC5F790F4.jpeg is for 776606A6-BAF6-4B54-8F3A-F929560094D9.png [​IMG][​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                  Last edited: May 12, 2018